We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

??Tips for trip to Arenal, Tamarindo??

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seal Beach, CA
??Tips for trip to Arenal, Tamarindo??

Family of 4 will be staying one week, any suggestions on car rental company?? We are doing 2 nights Arenal, 4 nights Tamarindo, 1 night back in San Jose. Something not to miss?? Any recent travel tips would be greatly appreciated!

San Francisco...
reviews: 104
1. Re: ??Tips for trip to Arenal, Tamarindo??

Tricolor car rental has the best rates and they will pick you up at the airport and you can also have them pick up tyhe car from your hotel on your last night. You will need a 4x4 to get from Arenal to Tamarindo. For you last night I suggest staying in Alajuela (near the airport) rather than in San Jose. I allways stay at the Orquideas Inn (look for their review herre on trip advisor)

San Francisco...
reviews: 9
2. Re: ??Tips for trip to Arenal, Tamarindo??

We've used Toyota Rental on both of our trips and have been very pleased. You've picked a good itinerary and we especially enjoy the drive between San Ramon and La Fortuna -- ever changing scenery and good roads. There is also a cloud forest up the hill fron San Ramon that is nice. In Tamarindo two weeks ago we stayed at El Milagro and enjoyed it. Don't miss Dragonfly for a great dining experience and try to swing over to Playa Grande for an exceptional beach, even by California standards. Your kids will love it all.

houston
3. Re: ??Tips for trip to Arenal, Tamarindo??

How far is it from San Jose to Alajuela? Also what would you suggest for a very close beach retreat from San Jose if I don't have a lot of time there?

San Francisco...
4. Re: ??Tips for trip to Arenal, Tamarindo??

Alajuela is where the airport is located and is about 20 minutes from San Jose. The closest beach area wouild be Jaco

San Francisco...
reviews: 9
5. Re: ??Tips for trip to Arenal, Tamarindo??

Actually the closest beach area is Puntarenas.

San Francisco...
6. Re: ??Tips for trip to Arenal, Tamarindo??

True but I woun't want to go swimming in the water around there