We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap souvenirs

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
raleigh nc
reviews: 2
cheap souvenirs

This was listed in a guide book and it is true! We got cheap souvenirs in the Plaza Democracia. This is behind the Costa Rican National Museam which was small and very interesting and a block from the National Park. The souvenirs were the same as sold elsewhere and a lot cheaper. For example, my husband bought an Imperial beer t-shirt for 3000 CRC ~ $6.50 USD, this sold in the airport for $18 USD!!! Same shirt. Luckily this was a short walk from our hotel.

USA
reviews: 3
1. Re: cheap souvenirs

I agree with you on this one.

It is a find.

San Francisco...
reviews: 9
2. Re: cheap souvenirs

Also, try theCentral Mercado, an amazing warren of stalls and shops. One store easily had the best selection of T-Shirts and sweats I saw anywhere in the country.

Calhoun, Georgia
reviews: 26
3. Re: cheap souvenirs

In my opinion the best souvenirs we got in Costa Rica were the paintings on bird's feathers. We saw them everywhere in San Jose. The best prices we found in the department stores the local people frequented.

san jose, costa rica
reviews: 1
4. Re: cheap souvenirs

A really good CR souvenir is a chorreador - the suspended cloth bags Ticos use to brew coffee. That coupled with some Costa Rican coffee and chocolates and / or Cafe Rica (coffee liquor) make an excellent gift.

aeron @ travelatlas.org

USA
reviews: 3
5. Re: cheap souvenirs

Painted bird feathers may get you locked up for 10 years, if you go thru US Customs. Unless they are chicken feathers.

San Jose
reviews: 1
6. Re: cheap souvenirs

I have bought tose feather paintings for gifts several times a few yaers back, I never had a problem at MIA and please do not think they come from enganger species.

Honolulu, HI
reviews: 5
7. Re: cheap souvenirs

Thanks for the tip on the T-shirts! I just came back and because of your advice I went and bought Imperial Beer T-shirts from Plaza Democracia as well. Because I bought 6 at the same time, I was able to bargain the lady down to 2500 colones for each. It seemed the farther you walk down the marketplace, the cheaper things became. At first they wanted 5000 colon for a t-shirt and then walk a little ways down it goes down to 4000 and then 3000. I didn't eat there but I heard great things about the restaurant right across the street from Plaza Democracia. I'll need to go back there and try it. I heard it from a fellow tourist I met there and the bus driver.