We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foodies need advice on local fruit

Which Quepos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Foodies need advice on local fruit

Hi. My family is planning a trip to Costa Rica. Our travel dates are variable but we would like to visit when the rambutans are ready to eat in the Manuel Antonio area. Does anyone know when they are in season? Also we are thinking of staying at Casa mono Congo, anyone have experience with that house? We are a party young (3) to old (and infirm). We don't plan to rent a car but use taxis, advice? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
reviews: 62
1. Re: Foodies need advice on local fruit

Seems to me that I've seen mamon chino here in November and again in July/August. When they're in season, you'll find them just about everywhere from grocery markets to individual sidewalk vendors! There is a feria on the seawall in Quepos weekly late Friday afternoon and Saturday til noon. A fun experience (farmer's market) and you can purchase them there when they are in season too.

JENSEN BEACH
reviews: 39
2. Re: Foodies need advice on local fruit

I bought some at the Feria in Escazu last October. Bought them based on an article I had read in the Costa Rica Star Sept 2013. Google Costa Rica Star Rambutans....maybe it is still online

Chicago
3. Re: Foodies need advice on local fruit

Thank you. Have you heard anything about casa Congo mongo?

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 7
4. Re: Foodies need advice on local fruit

Boy when they are in season, you can't go 20 feet without passing a roadside stand. They are everywhere.

La Fortuna
reviews: 35
5. Re: Foodies need advice on local fruit

What a great question! Rambutans or as LisaPuraVida said "Mamón Chinos" are mostly grown in Costa Rica's Northern Zone and harvested from late August to November and it's true - you'll find them on just about every street corner in Costa Rica during the yearly harvest. Some local farmers near the Arenal Volcano have planted a new kind of Mamón Chino engineered by Earth University that grow closer to the ground and produce plumpest, sweetest and juiciest Rambutans I've ever tried. I've heard good things about Casa Mono Congo. Enjoy your travels and Happy eating!

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: Foodies need advice on local fruit

Agree with jetskier...good way to see it..

roadadvisor

Chicago
7. Re: Foodies need advice on local fruit

Thanks for all the great responses. Quick question though. Are they ripe all November or only part? And if only part, which part?

La Fortuna
8. Re: Foodies need advice on local fruit

I've seen Rambutans in the fruit stands and grocery stores up until early December, but often the outside prickly-red skin doesn't look as nice, but the fruit inside is still delicious. Local growers are even starting to ship them to supermarkets in the US! Hope you get to enjoy some while you're here!

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
9. Re: Foodies need advice on local fruit

If you can find them, they will be called "Mamon Chino" or just "Mamon." They are unmistakable and you can often see small trucks or carts by the side of the road piled high with them. It is kind of late right now to find them everywhere.

La Fortuna
10. Re: Foodies need advice on local fruit

I've seen Rambutans in the fruit stands and grocery stores up until early December, but often the outside prickly-red skin doesn't look as nice, but the fruit inside is still delicious. Local growers are even starting to ship them to supermarkets in the US! Hope you get to enjoy some while you're here!