We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from San jose to Quepos OR Puerto Viejo to Quepos

Which Quepos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cortlandt Manor...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Travel from San jose to Quepos OR Puerto Viejo to Quepos

Is there any particularly company for bus/van/shared travel from San Jose to Quepos that's is better than others in terms of price/reliability/schedules? Or any other options for transport that you would recommend? ALSO Any way of getting to Quepos from Puerto Viejo without going thru San jose?? thanks so much!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,553 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Travel from San jose to Quepos OR Puerto Viejo to Quepos

There is no way to reach Quepos from Puerto Viejo then to drive via San Jose. If on bus or shared shuttle that means changing them. A local bus would be the most affordable way to reach Quepos from San Jose; the most often mentioned shared shuttle bus companies are all reliable and have more or less same prices.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Travel from San jose to Quepos OR Puerto Viejo to Quepos

There are ways to get to Puerto Viejo to Quepos without going through SJ, but the trip would be much longer than 8-9 hours driving. http://www.easyridecr.com/timetable.htm has shared from Quepos to PV for $79pp.

Cortlandt Manor...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Travel from San jose to Quepos OR Puerto Viejo to Quepos

Tahnksw so much for your response!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: Travel from San jose to Quepos OR Puerto Viejo to Quepos

Of course you can do it while avoiding SJ but it Is a long drive so a stop over on the Orosi Valley or San Geraldo de Dota or Uvita~Dominical would be a good idea.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,553 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Travel from San jose to Quepos OR Puerto Viejo to Quepos

I need to correct my misleading information. There is a way to reach Quepos from Puerto Viejo. It is as described by CanaTico, a longer and more difficult drive via Turrialba, Cartago and on PanAm to San Isidro de el General, then down to Dominical and on to Quepos. In total about 2-3 hours more driving if in personal car. But the road is much more demanding then the ones via San Jose so I should write "no reasonable way".

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: Travel from San jose to Quepos OR Puerto Viejo to Quepos

Xelas I agree that it is a longer drive but I disagree that it is more difficult. Driving through San Jose can be very difficult and if you hit rush hour forget it. The longer drive is beautiful and a stopover very worthwhile.

7. Re: Travel from San jose to Quepos OR Puerto Viejo to Quepos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 06, 2014