We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from the San Jose airport to Quepos

Which Quepos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Prairie, Texas
reviews: 4
Traveling from the San Jose airport to Quepos

What is the absolute cheapest way to travel from the san jose airport to Quepos. I am coming down in a few weeks to do some fishing, and don't mind taking the scenic route if it saves me some bucks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Traveling from the San Jose airport to Quepos

The absolute cheapest way to travel from the San Jose airport to Quepos...public bus ...that is the more affordable way!

roadadvisor

Pasco, Washington
2. Re: Traveling from the San Jose airport to Quepos

can you rent a car and drive to Quepos from San Jose airport?

Pasco, Washington
3. Re: Traveling from the San Jose airport to Quepos

can you rent a car and drive from San Jose airport to Quepos? Or how do you get there?

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
4. Re: Traveling from the San Jose airport to Quepos

Yes, you certainly can. There are a number of rental car companies near the airport, all the majors, I recommend Tricolor http://www.tricolorcarrental.com/

I have recommended them many times, and my family uses them when they arrive, never been disappointed. They will pick you up at the airport and help you get on your way. The drive from Quepos is very simple on the new highway, again, the rental staff can provide directions (you should invest in a CR map as well) or perhaps a GPS for the trip. I also have provided a link for transport tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g291982-c109576/Costa-… These companies (shared shuttles) and private drivers are generally suggested here on the Forum. Lastly, you can fly, Nature Air http://www.natureair.com/quepos-flights.aspx

will take you over the mountains, it is spectacular, and a taxi or shuttle can meet you, or a rental can be had and delivered to the Quepos airport.

Lots of choices, but lots of fun as well.

Have fun planning your holiday.

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
5. Re: Traveling from the San Jose airport to Quepos

Once in Quepos you must visit Cafe Milagro on the boulevard, great bilingual staff, superb coffee (do take some home) and banana bread to die for..

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g309289-d1…

Also, don't know if anyone back home would like some genuine Costa Rican cigars, but right beside Cafe Milagro you will find a cigar store with the cutest chihuahua for security. Do give her a scratch under the chin.

Enjoy your holiday and Quepos...lots to see and do.

Edited: 6:29 pm, August 10, 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Traveling from the San Jose airport to Quepos

The road from San Jose to Quepos is in the best condition ever...you can drive it in 2 hours 45 minutes...a lot of great things to see...if you are lucky even flocks of red and green macaws...by Tarcoles...of course the wild crocs at the river....the majestci views around Hermosa beach...the African Palm Tree plantations...the great rice fileds...one slow doan by the main entrance of Parrita...not a big deal...

I just come back from there a bout 1 hour ago...the weather was great...and not that many people at the Manuel Antonio public beach!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: Traveling from the San Jose airport to Quepos

Just in case I found this E-Mail today in Manuel Antonio...

caylasportfishing@gmail.com

They run a Sport Fishing Operation also you can try to call them at...(506) 8834-6691 or (506) 2777-1561

Nice boat...good prices all Penn International Equipment!

roadadvisor

8. Re: Traveling from the San Jose airport to Quepos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:24 am, August 12, 2012
Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 18
9. Re: Traveling from the San Jose airport to Quepos

jcraten asked for the cheapest way and the answer is by public bus and it should cost less than 4000 colones ($8US).

Here is a TA previous thread giving details:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309274-i2022-k540…

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 14
10. Re: Traveling from the San Jose airport to Quepos

Dona Reina,

Thanks for the great tip about transferring to the Sabana Cemetario Bus to get to Tracopa. We often took the local bus into town when the Quepos/MA buses left from the Coca Cola but not since they moved to Tracopa. Though I have been on the Sabana Cemetario bus many times but never past where it turned off Ave. 2.

Yes the public bus is the cheapest. However, if you take an orange official airport cab from SJO to Tracopa the cost is about $30. So if you are up for transferring buses you will save a fair amount.

There is a danger that when you get to Tracopa the next directo bus may already be full. If so, look at when the next colectivo leaves versus the next directo and figure out which one you'd be better off taking.

Or there is actually another option - depending when you land and if you are a bit adventurous. Get a cab and ask the driver to take you to Puente Villa Bonita. It is about a $5.00 or less trip. Its a place not far from the airport where all sorts of buses stop. It is right near a gas station. The Quepos colectivo will stop there if you flag it down. So if there is a bus leaving Tracopa at 2.00 PM it will get to Puente Villa Bonita sometimes between 2.30 and 2.50 PM. The colectivo is slower than the directo because it makes all sorts of stops. And sometimes there may not be seats but they will let you stand. Though you won't end up standing all the way since people get off.

There is very little difference in price between the directo and colectivo - only a couple hundred colones.

For getting back to San Jose - if the timing works out or if you want to spend a night near the airport, you can take the colectivo. It will let you off on the road right in front of the airport. In some cases, though it takes longer than the directo it turns out more convenient in the long run

pura vida

raquel