We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mapache Scam

Which Quepos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach...
reviews: 23
Mapache Scam

Hi,

Mapache had great service but over charged us, the car was suppose to be 538 and my card got charged 577 and some change. They took advantage of us by charging us more for the bag tax, the tax is a set fee and would not go up or down at the airport therefore the mapache employee told us that the charge was at the airport cash 28 dollars or 38 dollars for credit. and at mapache it was only credit 32 dollars. When we got to the airport we asked. I will never use mapache again.

8 replies to this topic
La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
1. Re: Mapache Scam

Sorry to hear about your experience. Most of our friends and family members (6-10 per year or so) that come to visit us use Mapache and they have always been reliable. There have never been any surprises. Again, sorry to hear about your experience, but experience has always been good.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 14
2. Re: Mapache Scam

Sorry you feel you were somehow scammed by Mapache. I think scam is perhaps a strong word.

I assume that when you say bag tax - you may be referring to the airport departure tax.

Are you saying you purchased that tax from Mapache and they charged you $32? Did you then have to pay the amount of the tax again at the airport at the tax counter? Or are you saying that the $34 you were quoted then turned into $577-538 = $39.

The truth about the $28 tax is that it is $28 that gets charged to you by the Airport Authority. Thats what they get. However if you pay it with a credit card, the transaction is treated as a cash advance and the credit card company adds an extra charge. Most people who have done this and reported back to the forum say that it was $10 that was added to the transaction as a cash advance fee. (The amount may vary depending on the CC ) So I think this is where the $38 for a credit card payment probably comes from. The Mapache employee was actually not wrong. $38 is what a person would end up paying if they used a CC at the airport. I assume you wereprepared to pay in advance with a credit card for convenience of skipping a line at the airport.

pura vida

raquel

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Mapache Scam

Sorry but scam is a very strong word...for a few dollars...but I´m with yoiu $ 1.00 or $100.00 that somebody used from your money without your permmision is not nice at all...thank you for let us all know!

roadadvisor

Huntington Beach...
reviews: 23
4. Re: Mapache Scam

oh boy so many questions. the 538 was quoted for the car and was charged 577 the other amounts were 32 those were separate transactions and were charged correctly. I understand what you are saying about the faster and the conversion rate however my bank eats conversation and doesn't charge the user the extra in conversions. Its pretty cool :)

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
5. Re: Mapache Scam

the $32 difference could have been many things, Mapache is a straight up company, and one of the best companies in CR. Sorry you had a problem with them.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 14
6. Re: Mapache Scam

Hi Noelle,

Thanks for coming back to clarify that there were two different issues.

It is great that your credit card does not charge the various conversion fees and other fees that so many cards do.

If you have something that shows you authorized only $538 and were charged more you should be able to go back through your CC company and they will charge the overcharge back to Mapache.

San Jose, Costa Rica
7. Re: Mapache Scam

at the end you had a great service some people some times with other car rentals had a terrible expirience

San Diego...
8. Re: Mapache Scam

I do not recommend Mapache rental. I received an online quote for a van rental which was a good price. I had a few questions and the customer service was quite good on responding and very helpful. I confirmed the price in three emails, and proceeded to book the reservation and paid via my CC. Next day I get a BS phone call saying that they under estimated the price and the rental was going from $610 to $900! whether or not they made a genuine mistake, a good company should have acknowledged their mistake and calked it up as their loss, I follow this business practice in my own business. This was in no way my misunderstanding or mistake, Mapache sent me the quote in writing. I feel I received a bait and switch!

Reply to: Mapache Scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted