We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soccer/futbol or other activity for 6 yr old boy?

Which Quepos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 11
Soccer/futbol or other activity for 6 yr old boy?

We will be in MA/Quepos for four weeks and are wondering if there is a way for our 6 yr old son to play soccer with other kids while we are there. He would have fun and maybe learn some Spanish!

We are also very open to other ideas of classes, camps, activities for him (and my 4 yr old son) for them to meet other kids.

Thank you in advance!

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: Soccer/futbol or other activity for 6 yr old boy?

1. Ask at your hotel

2. Spend some time walking or driving around looking for soccer fields

3. Ask at the school - but if you don't speak Spanish, this could be a problem.

Six is a little young to find a "pick up" game of futbol - most of the ones I see are a bit older. However, there will always be smaller groups of kids of his age, sometimes just in someone's front yard. There are not many organized soccer activities for kids this age.

I think your best bet is to ask at your hotel. It might be that some of the staff have kids his age and he can hang out with them or play soccer somewhere in the neighborhood.

Michigan
2. Re: Soccer/futbol or other activity for 6 yr old boy?

Thank you for your quick reply. We will definitely ask around after we arrive, though we are renting a house, not staying at a hotel. I believe that the house is near a soccer field, so I'm sure we'll get a feel for how many kids actually play there after we are there. I do speak Spanish, so that shouldn't be a problem. My son doesn't really, but that's why I'd love for him to hang out with all Spanish speaking kids!

Do you know if the school is in session, or are the kids on vacation in June/July?

Thanks.

Costa Rica
3. Re: Soccer/futbol or other activity for 6 yr old boy?

Kids are not on vacation June/July although there might be some kind of holiday in there. Kids here are on vacation December/January which, culturally, coincides with the coffee picking season just like in the US, summer vacation traditionally coincided with harvesting season.

If you are renting a house, just ask around - your neighbors, at grocery store and the shops, etc. If you are near the soccer field, you can keep an eye out for activity there. But, as I said, there is really nothing organized for kids as young as six and most of the games at the soccer field will be for older kids.

Have a great vacation!

New York City, New...
reviews: 45
4. Re: Soccer/futbol or other activity for 6 yr old boy?

I am also going to be in Quepos for a month, durrng July and I looked up the school calendar and it appears there is a 2 week school break starting on July 3rd for 2 weeks, but I could be wrong (I don't read a lot of spanish). I don't know if that helps or hurts.

Costa Rica
5. Re: Soccer/futbol or other activity for 6 yr old boy?

jmhnyc-- where did you find the information about the school calendar? I would be interested in taking a look. Thanks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: Soccer/futbol or other activity for 6 yr old boy?

Across from the Catholic church in Quepos is a Soccer field...I see kids paying there all the time...even at night...maybe just go there and ask..PARA ADONDE LE DOY?....typical paragraph asking if and wich side you can play!

Another soccer field by Super Joycet up the hill...also many kids there!

And of course by the public beaches...

roadadvisor

Michigan
7. Re: Soccer/futbol or other activity for 6 yr old boy?

Great info - thanks! I think "our" house is right by the Super Joycet, so that field would be very convenient. We will march down there the first day to check it out! Not to mention that the Copa Mundial is going to be happening : )

One more question... is it safe to go running around there? (as in, for me) I mean both in traffic safety, muddy roads, and personal safety... and if not, is there a gym near by?

Thanks!

New York City, New...
reviews: 45
8. Re: Soccer/futbol or other activity for 6 yr old boy?

don't remember the exact site but I went to costa rica gov website and followed links to education and used google to translate. I hiope that helps

San Jose, Costa Rica
9. Re: Soccer/futbol or other activity for 6 yr old boy?

For running ...just common sense...I see a lot of runners up and down all the time!

roadadvisor

10. Re: Soccer/futbol or other activity for 6 yr old boy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, December 05, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Quepos