We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica Beach House in Puntarenas

Which Puntarenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glen Morris, Ontario
Costa Rica Beach House in Puntarenas

Looking to find out information on the beach. Nice for swimming, and or maybe some snorkeling?

9 replies to this topic
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
1. Re: Costa Rica Beach House in Puntarenas

Puntarenas is the name of both the port town and the province that runs along much of the Pacific coastline. The port is not a place for either swimming or snorkeling. Look at Manuel Antonio and south for nice beaches. VRBO is a good site for vacation rentals instead of hotels.

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
2. Re: Costa Rica Beach House in Puntarenas

Why have you picked Puntarenas, Tammy? And what time of year? And yes, Puntarenas is the name of a Province and a town. How long would you be renting?

For information on Costa Rica beaches: anywherecostarica.com/destinations/…beach

For house/condo rentals, check Homeaway, VRBO Trip Advisor Vacation Rentals or Flip Key.

Glen Morris, Ontario
3. Re: Costa Rica Beach House in Puntarenas

Thanks Hallie for your reply! I've never been to Costa Rica but have heard wonderful things about it. I came across this beach house and loved the reviews on it. Suited for our style, private and on beach, but with ammenities of being at an all inclusive. Being Canadian, we like to travel anywhere between February to April. We enjoy doing 2 week vacation getaways for now.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
reviews: 59
4. Re: Costa Rica Beach House in Puntarenas

I think the question here is where is the beach house? In Puntarenas the province (which is large) or Puntarenas the city. To answer your inquiry re: beach swimming and snorkling, we would need to know the location.

Costa Rica
5. Re: Costa Rica Beach House in Puntarenas

?? Still not answering whether the house you fell in love with is in Puntarenas Province or Puntarenas town. If you really want some information, you need to be more forthcoming and ask more specific questions.

If you are looking for a beach vacation, there are houses and condos and villas for rent everywhere in the country. Are you just looking for beach, period, or do you have any interest at all in the things that make Costa Rica what it is: rainforests, cloud forests, hiking, wildlife, volcanoes, waterfalls, -- everything to do with "nature."

First look for a location that fits your needs and then look for a house. I would bet that you can find what you are looking for.

For a two-week vacation, most people visit 3 or 4 locations of different types. But even if you don't want to move around much, still visiting two locations such as a beach location and a mountain/volcano location is recommended so that you can enjoy all that Costa Rica has to offer.

Glen Morris, Ontario
6. Re: Costa Rica Beach House in Puntarenas

I have rarely used this forum, so I apologize for not being too specific. For now, we only do 2 week vacations, due to work schedules, but in the future, we hope to be able to have a place to relax in for a couple of months at a time. This specific hotel we looked at is currently for sale, so I was really hoping to find out more opinions of this place and area. We are always keeping our eyes open for a good long-term investment opportunity. We personally enjoy our relaxation time, and for the most part, enjoy our privacy. We do like being close to communities, and locals seeing and feeling a part of the culture.

Costa Rica
7. Re: Costa Rica Beach House in Puntarenas

Sorry, Tammy, but I just can't help you any further. You're writing an answer but with no more information than your other posts.

"Looking for an investment opportunity" is the height of naivete. Really. So many people have had the same thought and gone away with their tails between their legs and their wallet a lot lighter. Just plan a vacation and see how it goes. Forget "investment opportunities." You don't even know if you like the place!

I can tell you this: Not only is Spanish the language here, but the culture is different, the laws are different, the way people do business and deal with each other is different. It's a real shock to some who think that things are just the same as back home except people speak Spanish.

All I know is that you are here for two weeks.

If you want to know more about Costa Rica, you can look here: www.anywherecostarica.com or here www.costa-rica-guide.com or here www.govisitcostarica.com

For distances and travel times: www.yourtravelmap.com

Napa, California
8. Re: Costa Rica Beach House in Puntarenas

Hi Hattie, we will be traveling to Costa Rica in March. My husband loves to surf and my daughter and I love the beach. we are looking for a smaller town for this 8 day trip. any recommendations? we hear Punteranas area is good as well as nicoya peninsula. thanks!

Costa Rica
9. Re: Costa Rica Beach House in Puntarenas

For surfing, there are many good areas that will probably suit everyone.

The southern Nicoya Peninsula - Montezuma, for instance or Nosara or one of the small beach towns south of Tamarindo -- Playa Negra or Playa Avellenas.

Samara is a very family friendly town but surfing really for beginners. However, you could do day trips to the Nosara area for surfing or to Ostional or Guiones.

Reply to: Costa Rica Beach House in Puntarenas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted