We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Under $100 with monkeys & kid beach in walking distance

Which Puntarenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 79
Under $100 with monkeys & kid beach in walking distance

I'm planning our trip for the first half of next December. We will have between 10-14 days on the southern Pacific. We'd like to stay in either the Manuel Antonio area or anywhere south of there all the way to and including the Osa. I am confused as to what area would be best.

Really all that we are looking for is a hotel/rental house that sleeps 4 (2 adults and 2 kids ages 4 and 9) ideally under $100 per night at a beach (walking distance is ok, too and a swimming hole/waterfall would be fine instead of beachfront) that is kid-friendly and we're likely to see monkeys everyday (an occasional sloth, macaw or toucan would be a bonus but my kids are nuts about monkeys). And, we need a kitchenette.

For MA, we are looking at: Villa Prats or Hotel Verde Mar

For area between MA and the Osa: El Coquito at Playa Matapala or Hacienda Baru

For the Osa area: Jumanji Bungalows in Drake or Cabinas Jimenez in Puerto Jimenez

Maybe all these areas fit the bill and I am just torturing myself! Any and all advice is appreciated.

Edited: 10:27 pm, January 03, 2013
San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Under $100 with monkeys & kid beach in walking distance

Maybe a little mor money per night...check...La Posada Inn...Inn On the Park...Cabinas Hotel El Bosque...CAbinas hotel Espadillas..Holel Vela bar...all of them walking dirtyance to public beaches and park entrance...and most of the time plenty monkies around!

roadadvisor

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 54
2. Re: Under $100 with monkeys & kid beach in walking distance

In Manuel Antonio check La Posada Jungle Bungalow, next door to park entrance and 3 min to public beach. Cabina with A/C was 80 US$ for 3 persons in 2011, however in green season. Hacienda Baru was same price, nice comfortable cabinas. Puerto Jimenez would be less expensive location then Drake Bay. Cabinas Jimenez were more expensive at 100 US$, without breakfast.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 137
3. Re: Under $100 with monkeys & kid beach in walking distance

With that young of Children, I am not sure the Osa/Corcovado area would be the best, due to most the activity is long hikes, boat rides and heat and humidity.

Manual Antonio is great for a family, keep in mind nothing really great on the beach, most the nice lodges/inns/hotels are above the beach and up the road, I also think its important to have a pool, the Pacific is very rough overall, the sand can be very hot as sand can be darker, and there is strong rip tides and currents on average.

I like the Costa Verde Lodge, it has two pools (1 adult) and rooms are huge sleep 4, and have kitchenettes, terraces and close to great places to eat.

But Monkeys hang out all along both coast, so Tamarindo, Samara, Nosara, Mal Pais/Santa Teresa, are all great.

South of MA/Quepos, near Playa Dominical, I like the Costa Parriasso, and also the house on the beach at Coconut Grove Cabinas, both have swimming pools and are on the ocean (actually next door to eachother).

Edited: 2:03 pm, January 04, 2013
4. Re: Under $100 with monkeys & kid beach in walking distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, January 06, 2014