We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay along the way from Liberia to Puntarenas ferry?

Which Puntarenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Niagara Falls...
reviews: 5
stay along the way from Liberia to Puntarenas ferry?

Hi! My hubby and I will be arriving in Liberia late afternoon- going to Montezuma area. Where should we stay on our drive down to the ferry? Should we stay near the airport, then drive the trans america highway in the morning? Or would you recommend we get closer to Puntarenas? (the hotels there sound a little dodgy) Thanks!

Toronto
1. Re: stay along the way from Liberia to Puntarenas ferry?

Why take the ferry? It's faster (and much less hassle) to just drive straight there. Lots of places to stay on the way whenever you feel like stopping for the night.

Playa Conchal...
reviews: 53
2. Re: stay along the way from Liberia to Puntarenas ferry?

Agree with the above, if you arrive late afternoon you could start driving south on the 21 for around an hour, to the Nicoya area. There are a few hotels around here, I like El Regalo which also has a restaurant on site. The next morning continue your journey down the peninsula to Paquera, Tambor and Montezuma. Whatever route you take I'd recommend a 4x4. Have a great trip!

http://hotelelregalo.com/

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: stay along the way from Liberia to Puntarenas ferry?

If you arrive late...stay in Liberia or even Santa Cruz or Nicoya...and then next day keep going to Montezuma...

By the way...you do not have to take any ferry if you are driving from LIR to Montezuma...in your case that will be a total waste of driving time and fuel..

Roadadvisor

Niagara Falls...
4. Re: stay along the way from Liberia to Puntarenas ferry?

Thanks so much! Very helpful advice.

Sisters, Oregon
reviews: 33
5. Re: stay along the way from Liberia to Puntarenas ferry?

the locals in Montezuma are suggesting to take the ferry when coming from Liberia. I have driven in CR several times before and don't mind the roads. We will be there in December - how long would you say the drive from LIR to Montezuma is?

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
6. Re: stay along the way from Liberia to Puntarenas ferry?

cRoss55:

see the following site:

yourtravelmap.com/costarica/…

I came up with just under 5 hrs. but I think I could drive the route in 4. Don't take the ferry, it adds a couple of hrs. to your time, you are just north of the peninsula, why add more stress of getting in line, waiting and buy tickets, getting on the ferry, all the protocol for the 'ferry dance'....it is much easier to drive!!!

Playa Conchal...
reviews: 53
7. Re: stay along the way from Liberia to Puntarenas ferry?

Yep, 4 to 5 hours drive. Longer journey if you take the ferry.

Virginia
reviews: 2
8. Re: stay along the way from Liberia to Puntarenas ferry?

There are hotels in Puntarenas that are not "dodgy". Check out

Hotel Praiamar, Hotel Alamar, Hotel Las Brisas, Michael's Surfside Hotel.

Niagara Falls...
9. Re: stay along the way from Liberia to Puntarenas ferry?

Thanks everyone! We are on our way! (Going to drive down the peninsula from Canas to Limonal, Naranjo, Paquera, Santa Teresa).

10. Re: stay along the way from Liberia to Puntarenas ferry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 12, 2014