We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have to agree...from a distance

Which Puntarenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Princeton, New...
reviews: 9
I have to agree...from a distance

Our last trip was to The Hilton papagayo. It had just undergone a complete renovation as was quite comfortable. The resort is perched on a mountainside with scattered well appointed villas.

The food was awful and the pool area crowded. The beach is not an attraction. The black soot in the sand leaves you covered in black powder. When you return to your room after a day at the beach its like coming home from work as a "chimney sweep"

We drove across to spend a few night at The los Suenos Marriott. We passed by The Doubletree..looked in from the street and hit the gas pedal as far down to the floor as possible. It was surely "A DUMP". I dont understand why some brands like Doubletree would keep a property that is in such despair. Either close the resort and do a complete overhaul renovation ..or.. sell it to Motel 6. But do not lower the image or brand of a particular line if the place is crap....thats my opinion.!!

Marriott Los Suenos was very nice and an authentic Hacienda like feel. We liked the property very much . The shore however is covered in Shale to avoid that. But the view of the grounds and pool area is quite nice.

Several months later we decided to give Costa Rica another try. This type we opted for the NEw JW Marriott Guanacaste. The hotel and resort in tself was very very pretty. Located in a vast private area about 1 hr from the airport. The trip however to the resort was not so good. THE ROADS are horrible and a large SUV is a must. Prepare to swallow alot of dust . Dont ride with the windows open. But once in the property confines its very lush. The pool area is expansive and entirely illuminated at night. Quite picturesque. The beach however ...better than Papagayo but certainly not the white Sand of Turks and Caicos. I unfortunately want it all when I travel. So forgive me for that!

London, England...
reviews: 80
11. Re: I have to agree...from a distance

Peter F

I think lasfloras may have just answered your question re the Hawaii volcano. My friends just came back from Honeymoon there and, having done a tour to see it, were told it was the only place in the world you're almost guaranteed to see Lava. Obviously you might elsewhere, but it'd be absolute fluke to be there when a volcano erupted (or recent enough so lava was still visible).

Lasfloras

Totally agree, we stayed in almost exlusively independent accommodation and loved each one (Montana de Fuego in Arenal, Fonda Vela in Monteverde, Plaza Yara in Manuel Antonio).

12. Re: I have to agree...from a distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, December 17, 2013