We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with little ones in southern Nicoya?

Which Puntarenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 57
Where to stay with little ones in southern Nicoya?

First time to CR in early February. We're experienced travellers, but will be coming with our son (5 1/2) and baby girl (15 months). Both are pretty good and laid back on the road, given their age.

We're flying into LIR and spending a couple of splurge days up in Papagayo. Then I thought we'd pick up a 4x4 and head down the peninsula to spend a week relaxing and easy exploring - short walks, waterfalls, sunsets, tide pools - that sort of thing.

We love the chill, secluded beach vibe (Tofino, BC and Koh Samui 10 years ago are some of our favorite places) but need family-friendly basics like a store, pharmacy, clinic, etc. A few other little kids around would be nice too.

Would Montezuma, Santa Teresa, Mal Pais, Cabuya, or somewhere else fit the bill? We'll have our 4x4 to get around. Samara/Nosara sounds nice too, but also built up, and we are already spending time in Papagayo among the big resorts.

Any nice hotels/villas in the southern Nicoya that would be appropriate for little ones? Something with a pool, kitchenette, $100/night or so, enough space so we wouldn't disturb other guests, would be perfect.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
1. Re: Where to stay with little ones in southern Nicoya?

Reading your post Samara pops into my head. You may catch some turtle nesting in the area, beaches are nice. I normally stay at Samara Treehouses if I am in the area. You can do some snorkeling from the beach, nothing spectacular to see but fun none the less.

Montezuma is a bit of a hippie town, laid back, Mal Pais more of a surfing crowd. More will chime in but I would say Samara.

Cheers

Southern California
reviews: 59
2. Re: Where to stay with little ones in southern Nicoya?

I would recommend Santa Teresa as we met TONS of families with small children. On the surface I would have said it was strictly surfer/yoga town but at our hotel Villas Hermosas, the owners have kids, and there was another family with small kids there as well. The rate might be out of your budget but it had a full kitchen and lots of space.

good luck!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 57
3. Re: Where to stay with little ones in southern Nicoya?

Thanks for the replies. I also heard this about Santa Teresa from others, and I think it will suit our family. Although we will have the kids with us, we're very much of the surfing/yoga type as well.

Really, really liked the look of Villas Hermosas but the price is out of our range. I called the folks at Casa MarBella - not quite as spacious but otherwise the right mix of price/kitchen/pool etc. and I think we will stay there. Looking forward to it.

Playa Conchal...
reviews: 54
4. Re: Where to stay with little ones in southern Nicoya?

You might also consider Fuego Lodge, a lovely property, very family friendly and Barbara is a great host. However, I wouldn't under estimate the drive down there, its around a 5 hour drive and quite a trip!

5. Re: Where to stay with little ones in southern Nicoya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 16, 2013