We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with my itinerary for next December, please

Which Puerto Jimenez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ashland, Oregon
Help with my itinerary for next December, please

We are spending 10 days in Costa Rica.. One plan is to spend 4 days on the Oso penninsula. We like Bosque Del Cabo Rainforest Lodge, La Paloma and Casa Corcovado...Any ides which of these would be best for photography, hiking and wildlife?

Then it has been suggested we go to Bosque De Paz Rain/Cloud Reserve for 4 days. My husband much prefers going and staying somewhere and getting to know the cool things to do rather than a place every 2 days.

Is this too much of the same thing?

Any thoughts from those of you who have spent more time in CR?

Thanks

new haven ct
reviews: 49
1. Re: Help with my itinerary for next December, please

Our iterary woked out perfectly for us. We got lots of heolp from tripadv. We rented a car and drove from airport to Poas Volcano Lodge which is a gem and went to see the volcano. Then we drove to Rainforest Lodge and tram. It was a thrill. And we were one of only 6 people staying in the whole forest. Be sure to go on the first ram ride so it is quiet with some amzaing animals. Then we drove to Arenal Observatory Lodge and had awonderful few days. We saw the butterfly gardne and Haing Bridges and took the free morning hike. Used the jacuzzi, all be oursleves, listening to the eerie shriks aof howler monkeys. Saw incredible birds outside the restaurnat window in the morning. Drove up terrible road to Monteverde and stayed at Hotel Belmar which was great. A giant tree sloth in the tree outside the window watching over her baby. Again alone in the hot tub. Hiked the Monteverde Cloud Reserve adn saw 5 extremely ratre quetzal birds--huge, emeral green tails, bright red chests.

The we drove down to stay at a dump of ahotel. Do not stay BrillaSol. It's awful. Did see the crocodiles on the coast. Good luck. We saw 4 poisonous vipers and 2 tarantulas but it was ok despite serious misgivings.

San Isidro de El...
reviews: 42
2. Re: Help with my itinerary for next December, please

Have stayed at Bosque del Cabo and La Paloma. Want to stay at Casa Corcovado. We enjoyed ourselves at La Paloma. Great hospitality and food. Day trips were fun and hiking in the rainforest amazing.

All that said, Bosque del Cabo is an amazing place. Nature pretty much just comes to you. We have been there 5 or 6 times now at least and never get bored. The grounds are beautiful and very diverse. You can hike the same trails over and over and it can be different every time. Nature sure doesn't sit still there. Plenty open around the cabinas to get great photos of birds. The scarlet macaws are a real treat. All 4 monkey species pass through daily.

Do come back with a report about Bosque de Paz. It sounds like a great place with a wonderful mission.

San Isidro de El...
3. Re: Help with my itinerary for next December, please

My sister in law lives in Ashland. Lovely town.

As far as those two places being similar. They aren't really. One is a cloud forest and the other is a coastal rain forest. Check out La Paz Waterfall gardens if you can as well as Poas volcano. La Paz will have some amazing photo ops of hummingbirds and butterflies not to mention the 5 waterfalls.

Ashland, Oregon
4. Re: Help with my itinerary for next December, please

Thanks for the feedback.

We are going to Bosque del Cabo for 4 nights and then have 4 more nights available.

I am wondering if Peace Lodge or Punta Leona would be a change of pace for us... things to do and see...any ideas of great place to go ?

Candace

San Isidro de El...
5. Re: Help with my itinerary for next December, please

I would like to suggest Vista del Valle Plantation. It is a beautiful area. Close enough to the airport to leave from. Easy to get to many places. They have drivers you can hire right there if you don't have a car. Oscar is very popular.

Some places you can visit from there, Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall Gardens, Doka coffee plantation, Sarchi, Cartago, Orosi Valley, Irazu Volcano, Lankester Gardens plus more. Or you can just stay at the hotel and enjoy the grounds. The exotic woods cabin and the Ylang Ylang have beautiful views.

San Isidro de El...
6. Re: Help with my itinerary for next December, please

I would like to suggest Vista del Valle Plantation. It is a beautiful area. Close enough to the airport to leave from. Easy to get to many places. They have drivers you can hire right there if you don't have a car. Oscar is very popular.

Some places you can visit from there, Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall Gardens, Doka coffee plantation, Sarchi, Cartago, Orosi Valley, Irazu Volcano, Lankester Gardens plus more. Or you can just stay at the hotel and enjoy the grounds. The exotic woods cabin and the Ylang Ylang have beautiful views.

PNW
reviews: 62
7. Re: Help with my itinerary for next December, please

I would do those days and more on the Osa. I wouldn't spend THAT much time at Peace Lodge. It is not too much of the same thing, but I don't know if there is enough to keep you inthralled for 4 days at La Paz. Have you been to Costa Rica before?

Ashland, Oregon
8. Re: Help with my itinerary for next December, please

This is the first time we are going.

One idea I had was to stay at Hotel Bougainvillea for the last 4 days and do day trips to La Paz Waterfall, Braulio, and Carrara.

Does that sound more interesting?

So hard to decide what to do when there are so many fun places to go.

Thanks,

NY
reviews: 1
9. Re: Help with my itinerary for next December, please

You can go to Tortuguero - see the rainforest from boat/canoe/kayak by travelling the canals.

How about Arenal/La Fortuna area? It has an active volcano, hot springs, waterfall, and a lot of activities and day trips that you can do from there. Look at www.arenal.net.

You can go on a white water rafting trip - either 1 day from San Jose area or Arenal area or multi-day from San Jose area (with overnight(s) in a lodge in the rainforest).

You can go to one of the cloud forest areas. It is very different from Osa because of the high elevation and cloud coverage. The plants are amazing, but seeing wildlife highly depends on luck there.

You can stay in San Jose area and do day trips from there. Carara would be a 2 hour drive from Hotel Bougainvillea and I usually consider it a separate destination from the San Jose area. I think it would probably be a disappointment to you after Osa except for the aquatic birds you can see there on the Laguna trail. There are other places to see aquatic birds, if you are interested in that.

The question is - what are you really interested in most?

NY
reviews: 1
10. Re: Help with my itinerary for next December, please

Also, go to www.moon.com, click on Costa Rica. You will see overviews of different destinations in different parts of the country.