We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bosque del Cabo questions

Which Puerto Jimenez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 20
Bosque del Cabo questions

I have a few Bosque del Cabo questions that I was hoping the the TA'ers could help with.

When hiking the trails at BdC, is it best to wear long pants, and if so are any kinds recommended?

Are there walking sticks or treking poles that guest may use?

Does anyone have any information on the cabina, Manglillo?

Toronto
1. Re: Bosque del Cabo questions

I'd suggest zip-leg pants. That way you can switch to shorts if you want. We left the legs on as a precaution against mosquitoes.

Yes, there are walking sticks available. Also rubber boots, but not all sizes.

Make sure you have proper footwear for hiking. Sandals and flip-flops won't do.

Los Angeles...
2. Re: Bosque del Cabo questions

Thank you so much for your speedy reply, Rancho!

Did you find that there were mosquitoes on the trails?

For a hiking shoe, would a heavy tread, mesh enclosed, water shoe work?

Los Angeles...
3. Re: Bosque del Cabo questions

Another question!

Do both Tucan and Manglillo have a railing around their decks?

Toronto
4. Re: Bosque del Cabo questions

We didn't notice many bugs at all, but we were there in the dry season. Probably depends a lot of the time of year.

I wouldn't hike in water shoes ever, but I know that others do. There is a lot of up and down to the trails, so I prefer the stability and ankle support of a real hiking shoe.

Your feet will get wet (not on all of the trails), and some of the hikes are hours long. I suspect you'll blister in a water shoe.

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: Bosque del Cabo questions

Hiking on the tropical forest...is incredible...but nice to do it with the proper clothes...maybe nice long pants and hiking boots, long sleeve shirt and a hot...you never know what can be awiting for you...is better to be hot than anything else!

roadadvisor

Los Angeles...
6. Re: Bosque del Cabo questions

Thank you! I will start looking at hiking pants :) We will be there in early January. Is "quick drying" the most important feature?

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
7. Re: Bosque del Cabo questions

Quick drying and a wicking type of material that draws the moisture from your skin if you are prone to sweat, runners use this type of material, and it's available at many outdoor and sports stores. Also, the quick dry feature allows you to rinse it out in the sink, hang dry, and have it ready for the next days travel. Another suggestion is the Tilley line of clothing, designed for the type of travel you are planning, and they have an LA location at:

Adventure 16,

11161 W Pico Blvd.,Los Angeles, 90064, (310) 473-4574 If they are convenient I would check out their travel clothing.

Have a great vacation.

Edited: 2:31 pm, July 07, 2012
Los Angeles...
8. Re: Bosque del Cabo questions

Thank you, Cajon! I will check out the Tilley line. I think that I will go to Adventure 16. It should not be too far away. I should start trying things on. I don't really sweat much and so I guess that would not need to be my number one feature.

We stayed at Bosque a long time ago and did not hike any of the longer trails because our daughter was young. Phillip's Primary Forest Tour gave her a bit of heat stoke. So, after that we stayed pretty close in.

I was wondering if people wear pants for the hikes, versus shorts. Phillip was pretty comdo/nija-like in his attire! I would love something like that :)

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
9. Re: Bosque del Cabo questions

Well sparkle, I have never seen the "camo" style at Tilley's, but maybe an army second hand if you like the Stallone look (lol). When you do come, take the day as it comes and at your own speed, CR has a calming effect on the soul.

St. Petersburg...
reviews: 33
10. Re: Bosque del Cabo questions

Personally I've always just worn shorts and tank top/t-shirts on the trails, with a little bug spray in bag if needed. Never had many issues at all w/bugs on the trails. The trails are well kept/marked so no need for boots. Sometimes I wear my low-cut hiking shoes, sometimes I wear crocs (especially if the trails are very muddy).

Manglillo & Tucan both have railing around their patios; plus Tucan also has a circular stone deck that is not enclosed, Manglillo does not have a deck.