We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quinta Sonada?

Which Puerto Jimenez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 22
Quinta Sonada?

Initially I had been thinking we would book BdC for our 5 days in Osa, but for 4 people it gets quite pricey very fast without even booking any tours.

So then I have been looking at vacation rentals like Casa Bambu, this place looks really great. However, the one thing I really do not want to do on vacation is cook for the family. I do this everyday at home and would love a break. It appears as though the caretakers at Casa Bambu will cook for you in the evenings but that's it.

I have been looking around other rentals options and came across Quinta Sonada (http://quintasonada.com/) and found that it is far cheaper than Casa Bambu and the local, on-site caretakers will cook all meals for you if you ask.

Has anyone here ever stayed ay Quinta Sonada or even know where it is? It looks to be closer to Puerto Jiminez than Matapalo. Are the beaches in this area swimable?

Will the wildlife we see at this place be any different than what we would see at Casa Bambu?

One last question, are no-see-ums a problem on all of the beaches in Osa during the rainy season?

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ottawa
reviews: 6
1. Re: Quinta Sonada?

Hello fellow Ottawan,

We have stayed at Casa Bambu (Casa Pina) several times. It is right at the beginning of the Matapalo road and is surrounded by rainforest. The wildlife is abundant. The monkeys, in particular, go through the trees every day. The scarlet macaws are usually found down near the almond trees at the beach (Playa pan Dulce). Quinta Sonada is quite a bit further north on the road to Puerto Jimenez and is much more open, fewer trees, and less wildlife. You could easily drive down to Matapalo though. I'm not sure about the beach at Q.S. It could be a bit rocky. Pan Dulce is lovely and swimmable. As far as bugs go, we haven't had problems but we go in March usually, which is the dry season. As far as cooking goes, we keep it simple, and my husband and i do it together. You could ask for some help from the family so it wouldn't just be up to you. They do have gas barbeques at Casa Bambu as well. Plus you could ask Leda and Vicky to cook for you a few times...you supply the food and they make you a feast. Good luck, whatever you decide.

2. Re: Quinta Sonada?

I am not familiar with either the two you mention but my husband and I stayed in casa tres peces "http://www.casatrespeces.com/the_house.html" which is just a fabulous house, as you can see by the pictures. It sounds like cooking is something you don't want to do which could be an issue however, there is a nice restaurant within walking distance and if you have to cook, at least the kitchen is open and beautiful. We also were there in the dry season so bugs were not an issue. That far out is far from much of anything and be careful if you are going in the rainy season. It rains ALOT and can at times make the roads impassable. I just thought I'd mention it in case were not real familiar with the area.

If you want to go a bit further, head down to Carate. There is a great place called the Lookout Inn "http://www.lookout-inn.com/" where meals are included and they have a variety of cabins that may fit your needs.

I hope you find a great place and have a good time. It is a wonderful place to go.

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Quinta Sonada?

Also by Carate...you can ask there about houses for rent in the area...ask and check at ISEAMI...nice simple lodge...not far from the beach...well about 5 minutes...

roadadvisor

Bethesda MD
reviews: 15
4. Re: Quinta Sonada?

I'm pretty sure Quinta Sonada is a km or so north of Playa Pan Dulce where Casa Bambu is. I'd expect that being further into the gulf, it would be that much calmer water than Playa Pan Dulce, which is "swimmable" in the sense that it's safe to enter, though you can get knocked about a bit. The map at soldeosa may have more detail on the location.

I wouldn't take as gospel any website statement that only dinner preparation is available. At just about any lodging, someone will very likely be happy to prepare other meals, if paid accordingly and given time to prepare. Best thing to do is start contacting folks down there.

5. Re: Quinta Sonada?

Also - if you need to rent a car, we had a very positive experience, on 2 different trips, with Solid Car rental. Tilted mentioned the website "soldeosa.com" which I found very helpful when planning my trips.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
6. Re: Quinta Sonada?

Re. sandflies or noseeums, last August I slept for an hour on the sandy beach of Pan Dulce and haven't got a single bite, and those creatures surely loves me.

Ottawa, Canada
7. Re: Quinta Sonada?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I always get more back than I was anticipating.

Has anyone visited the ISEAMI website recently, it's not so good. The "reviews" are Lorem Ipsum text...what up with that?

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
8. Re: Quinta Sonada?

Did you end up staying at Quinta sonada? We were thinking of booking there- any advice?

Thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
9. Re: Quinta Sonada?

No, our trip doesn't happen until the summer of this year. We ended up making a reservation at the Lookout Inn, so even when we get back I won't be able to review this property. Sorry.

Saskatchewan
10. Re: Quinta Sonada?

Good friends of ours are staying at Casa Bambu right now. Just arrived Friday. Screaming hot! is hot he described the weather.