We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shortest path from Puerto Jimenez to San Jose

Which Puerto Jimenez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area, California
reviews: 5
shortest path from Puerto Jimenez to San Jose

Hi,

Just wondering what is the shortest path from Puerto Jimenez to SJ airport. The map site that you all recommend sends us through Dominical beach and Jaco beach. I think it's crazy

then there are two options that don't go near the water line - one is with highway 2 all the way down, the other is to drive to Dominical and then up to highway 2

any idea what is the fastest? the safest? the most scenic? we will leave Puerto Jimenzez in the early morning on Sunday

thanks

Dorit

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 56
1. Re: shortest path from Puerto Jimenez to San Jose

Head for Palmar Norte up the Panamericana to San Isidro Cartago SJ SJO

www.shuttleosa.com all buses take this route daily

The coast raod more scenic worse road slower...

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: shortest path from Puerto Jimenez to San Jose

Crazy!? I drive that section of the road at least once a month to visit my farm in Drakes bay...I drive by Dominical...with all my respect that is the way!

I tryed a few days ago driving by San Isidro and Cerro de la Muerte...even that you get some incredible views...it is sooooooo slow and once you get to Cartago...is going to take you for ever to get to Juan Santamaria International Airport!

roadadvisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
3. Re: shortest path from Puerto Jimenez to San Jose

Whatever Luis tells you about driving, do it. He has seen it, done it, driven it all and won't steer you wrong.

Dominical, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Dominical
reviews: 8
4. Re: shortest path from Puerto Jimenez to San Jose

In Cosa Rica, the shortest route is not always the fastest. The shorter distance route has a longer drive time because of both traffic and terrain. Qwo is right that most public buses and shuttles go via the Interamericana - that is because San Isidro is a huge population center that needs to be served and they are going to San Jose, not SJO in Alajuelah. But, the coastal road is the newer highway and it is a faster and easier drive and some would say safer drive, especially now that the one lane bridges have been replaced.

That being said, what is the rush? The other routing, either via Rio Claro or Domincial to the Interamericana will add maybe an hour or hour and a half. If you've already seen the coast and don't want to retrace your steps, then take the "Cerro" (or Mountain of Death) route. RoadAdvisor is correct that you will have to drive though or around San Jose, which is sort of a mess, but its also sort of an adventure to survive. And the views on the Cerro are awesome. Stop at the Miradors and see the Pacific and the Carribean from the top of the world! If you have the extra time, the drive is an adventure to be had. IMHO it is the more scenic route.

Are you departing on Sunday after your long drive, or spending a night near the airport?

5. Re: shortest path from Puerto Jimenez to San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 06, 2010