We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

corcovado trips

Which Puerto Jimenez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
corcovado trips

does anyone help me with trips into corcovado, as most trips seem to be 2 or more people anyone been there solo as i will be? any information grateful on organising a hike there.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 22
1. Re: corcovado trips

I just visited Corcovado a few weeks ago. Both my husband and I went together but there were many people making the same trip. You will definitely meet people in the collectivo on your way to the park. The collectivos leaves from Puerto Jimenez at 6:00am and 1:30 or 1:00pm. When you arrive in Puerto Jimenez, ask around. Puerto Jimenez is a very tiny town and people are very willing to help.

We flew from San Jose to the Osa for $33 on Nature Air. Our flight arrived at 6:50 so naturally we missed the first collectivo. It gave us time to eat and confirm our reservations at the MINAE office in town. We also had time to shop for food at the local grocery store. We also stopped by our hotel in Puerto Jimenez to leave a few things that were making our backpacks pretty heavy. The collective to Carate was $8 and took 90 minutes. The collectivo arrived at 3:30. We hiked for 1.5-2 hours on the beach to our hotel, La Leona Tent Lodge ($50). The rangers at the ranger station will not allow you to hike into the park after a certain time because of the tide. They actually told us to begin our 5 hour hike the following day at 5:30am to avoid the high tide. We woke up at 5:30 and started our hike. We were not the only one’s staying on Carate beach who were making the hike into the park. La Leona is less than 5 minutes away from the La Leona Ranger station.

We made reservations to stay at the Ranger Station in La Sirena on the second night. The following day we made our way out of the park and in time for the 3:30 collectivo back to Puerto Jimenez. We spent the night at Cabinas Jimenez ($45) and flew back to San Jose the following morning. The airstrip is in walking distance from Cabinas Jimenez.

The trip is super easy and you will not be alone. There are many people who make the same trip and only one mode of transportation besides a $60 private taxi to Carate. You have to make all of your reservations prior to arriving. The following is a link to make the reservations, http://www.pncorcovado.blogspot.com/. The email address is pncorcovado@gmail.com. There is no fee to make reservations and you pay when you arrive in Costa Rica at the Banco Nacional de Costa Rica. I was apprehensive about deposting money to an acoount at the bank but the teller confirmed that the account number did in fact belong to MINAE. A bed at the ranger station is $8. Breakfast is $12 and lunch and dinner are both $17. The entrance to the park is $10/day. You can also rent a tent in town for $6 and camp in La Sirena for $4.

I hope I’ve covered everything and I hope it was all helpful.

New York City, New...
2. Re: corcovado trips

awesome info @blessed.

I can't believe what they've raised the meal prices to now, but I guess they've got the market cornered...

Panajachel...
reviews: 10
3. Re: corcovado trips

I'd just check into Corcovado Lodge Tent Camp. It is comfortable, on a spectacular beach and is right at the edge of the park. You can arrange with them to go to Carate or wherever you like.

Manchester, United...
4. Re: corcovado trips

thanks blessed16 thats a fantastic help!

Arkansas
reviews: 1
5. Re: corcovado trips

How did you get a flight from San Jose for $33?

Manuel Antonio...
reviews: 2
6. Re: corcovado trips

Nature air hads a special Loco fares the are very cheap, I have hear people on the forums paid only 25% of the real cost of the flight.When you go to nature air website and look for your flight availability is when you can choose for the type of fare. this will all depend if there is available space on the flight. NATUREGUIDE

7. Re: corcovado trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 04, 2009