We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 1
Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

Hi,

We will be going to Osa from the north for 5 days and then returning to San Jose for our return flight. We'll be doing this all by road.

If we're coming from Manuel Antonio, are we better off going through Drake Bay or Puero Jimenez? Jimenez looks a lot further, but from what I understand distances mean much less than terrain and road condition?

Thanks for any help.

Roger

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
1. Re: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

The main difference between Drake Bay and Puerto Jimenez is their role in accessing the La Sirena Ranger station in the heart of Corcovado NP. From Drake Bay you can get there via boat transfer. From Puerto Jimenez is a long day of hiking.

Drake Bay is accessible by car yet the road is less travelled and very demanding. Most folks drive till Sierpe and park a car there, then they go by boat via Sierpe river. The road to Puerto Jimenez is longer yet it is paved all the way, and thus you reach Puerto Jimenez faster then Drake Bay. Plus there is end of road in DB, so no need for a car while you are staying there, while a car is very useful in PJ to reach Cabo Matapalo and Carate.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 85
2. Re: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

I'd much rather drive to PJ than DB, but there are obviously other concerns involved.

You're sure you can't fly?

Liverpool, United...
3. Re: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

We would fly but we're going to travel down the Pacific coast road from Nicaragua. Thinking we'll do a few days in Rincon de la Vieja and then Manuel Antonio on the way. I can't find any flights into Drake other than San Jose

Liverpool, United...
4. Re: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

Thanks for advice both.

Bethesda MD
reviews: 15
5. Re: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

I'd consider driving to SJ rather than MA, returning car and flying to/from DB.

6. Re: Drake Bay or Puerto Jimenez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 26, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park