We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handicapped accesibility

Riverside, CA
reviews: 5
Handicapped accesibility

My husband and I will be staying in Drake Bay for a few days in mid June 2013. My husband can walk, but has to take it slow, and wouldn't be able to "hike". Would it still be worth our while to rent a private guide to Corcovado for a couple hours? Our hotel mentions going in at San Pedrillo. since he couldn't keep up with a group, we would be paying for a private guide to go slow. Does anyone think it would still be worth going? Can you see much without hiking in far?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Handicapped accesibility

You can try...once in one of my groups we have a person with the same needs...we hike with him and no problem...but you have to find a nice guide that is willing to take the time...I will said that is worth it...go for it...of course common sense!

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
2. Re: Handicapped accesibility

Yes you could probably see a lot with a private guide but are you aware there are very muddy trails during rainy season and there are wet landings at both ends of this trip? Getting in and out of boats couldbe very tricky, even with assistance if your husband has mobility problems.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Handicapped accesibility

Another can be to take him in a nice boat ride...he can see a lot of that great coast line...some times I go to my farm in Drakes bay by boat...and every time is just incredible...my country from the sea is incredible!

roadadvisor

Riverside, CA
4. Re: Handicapped accesibility

Thank you Road Advisor! I was hoping you would respond. We will also be "walking around" in Arenal Volcano area and Manuel Antonio. We plan on doing boating in Drake, sea conditions permitting. Thanks for the heads-up on the muddy conditions and boat. I guess for the money, I didn't know if walking in for an hour would be worth while.

Riverside, CA
5. Re: Handicapped accesibility

Thank you! Yeah, I have wondered about the boat entry and exit. Really could be an issue. I just wasn't sure if this area was a "must see" while we are at Drake, and worth any effort or cost.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Handicapped accesibility

Thank you...at Carara National Park on the way to MAnuel Antonio...now days are some trails for people with some kind of medical needs...nice and well marked...

Please do not hesitate to ask any question any time...here at the forum...a lot of nice people willing to help you!

roadadvisor

Riverside, CA
7. Re: Handicapped accesibility

Thanks again to the folks above for your help. We just got back from C R and had a great time! Just to let you know, we were able to handle the "wet landing" at Hotel Pirate Cove, My husband was helped off boat with no problems. The same was true in Corcovado. The guide was alerted to his hip problem and took it slow. I think the guide would have gone the same pace regardless since it is typical to walk, stop and look etc. I hope travelers with some walking limitations will consider Drake Bay.

8. Re: Handicapped accesibility

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 05, 2014