We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corcovado during wet season (November)

Hitchin, United...
reviews: 9
Corcovado during wet season (November)

Hi all,

We're looking at travelling to Costa Rica in November. We're really visiting Costa Rica for wildlife viewing and so would like to visit Corcovado as it looks to be one of the better National Parks for wildlife. Having looked into it on the internet, it says that it's not a good time to visit as November is during the wet season when there's torrential rain.

Has anyone been during November (or October would be similar in climate)? Does it really rain all day every day like some of the info we have read would suggest? Is it really that bad or can you still get a lot out of a visit during that time?

Or would we be better going to somewhere else if we go in November? If so any suggestions for us wildlife lovers?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Edited: 1:27 pm, February 23, 2013
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 75
1. Re: Corcovado during wet season (November)

I would not go anywhere near Corcovado in October/November. The park is closed in October IIRC. Not accessible, not safe.

November would be a great time to visit Cano Negro near Arenal--the lake would be at its largest, drawing the most waterbirds.

Puerto Viejo and Cahuita on the Caribbean side might be good options.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
2. Re: Corcovado during wet season (November)

October-Nov is a great time to visit the Caribbean side of Costa Rica, maybe Tortuguero National Park and Puerto Viejo, if time permits, you might be able to also hit Bocas del Toro in Panama too.

Hitchin, United...
reviews: 9
3. Re: Corcovado during wet season (November)

Thanks for both of your replies. Sounds like Corcovado is out for November! Tortuguero and Cano Negro both look very nice - thanks for the suggestions.

We were really hoping to do some proper jungle wildlife spotting for part of the holiday, which is why we were thinking of Corcovado (last year we visited the Amazon rainforest, so want to do something similar in Costa Rica).

Given this, would we be better giving up and going another year when we can go to Corcovado during the dry season or are the other parks in the country just as good for wildlife watching anyway?

Thanks again.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 75
4. Re: Corcovado during wet season (November)

Nothing is just as good as the Osa, and nothing within the Osa is quite at the level of Corcovado. There are very, very, very good places for wildlife (e.g. Sarapiqui, Tortuguero, Arenal Observatory Lodge), but the Osa is a place where you have a semi-reasonable chance of seeing a large cat or a tapir if you choose the right destinations. Plus abundant scarlet macaws, which is unheard of outside of the Amazon basin.

Keep in mind also that the wildlife (especially birds) seen in the Osa are different than what you might see in the Caribbean side.

There are many great places worth exploring in CR, so whether you should reschedule or just do another part now and plan another trip for the Osa depends on your personal situation (getting away from work, etc).

Edited: 11:38 am, February 24, 2013
Puerto Jimenez...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Corcovado during wet season (November)

FYI the park is closed annually for the month of October.

Expect heavy rain in the afternoons, thick mud on all trails, and the possibility that rivers could be too full to cross, either by foot or vehicle.

Even a quick downpour can swell rivers to impassable in minutes.

I'd try to come another time if you can, as it is one of the best places my country has to offer for experiencing the tropical rainforest.

Pura Vida,

Ballardo

Brighton, United...
reviews: 27
6. Re: Corcovado during wet season (November)

Hello Ballardo, I've signed up for a 3 day trip to Sirena (leaving from Jimenez) at the end of August. August won't be too bad will it?! I know it's rainy season, will the trails/ rivers be ok?

Chameleon19, I loved Cano Negro and Tortuguero for wildlife. Saw a massive range of wildlife at both. I didn't see other tourists on the water in Cano Negro, maybe I was just lucky. I think maybe you need to do at least two trips to Costa Rica! :-)

Edited: 1:02 pm, February 24, 2013
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 54
7. Re: Corcovado during wet season (November)

Catfee, Ballardo is good but not that good. Even The Great Gardener up there does not know if Corcovado will get full bucket or only a sprinkle. So just cross your fingers and hope for the best. It usually works for me, early August 2011 was dry for a week. Ballardo was there to confirm.

Brighton, United...
reviews: 27
8. Re: Corcovado during wet season (November)

Ha ha ha! I meant in general! :-)

I have been reading a lot of comments where people have been saying not to go in the rainy season but it's the only time I can go.

I will cross my fingers though- for dry weather, a little sun, a close encounter with a friendly tapir family and an ocelot or two posing for a few pictures... ;-)

Thanks xelas! x

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 54
9. Re: Corcovado during wet season (November)

Con mucho gusto!

10. Re: Corcovado during wet season (November)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 26, 2014