We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corcovado & Osa Peninsula,Costa Rica

reviews: 54
Corcovado & Osa Peninsula,Costa Rica

Two Active Seniors wish todo the above area,our interest is the Red Macaw in The Manuel Santana Park. and fishing and Cyclining.

We are thinking Fly to San Jose then to Jaco beach into the Best Western Hotel with Breakfast only and make our way round on day trip s to the Park and Isla as well.

Can an expert suggest an alternative,prefer 3 or so,our joy is Nature not what we can eat and drink..if you get our drift

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 52
1. Re: Corcovado & Osa Peninsula,Costa Rica

Cyclining ?! OK if cycling then this activity in Costa Rica is only for the hardcore enthusiasts. A sturdy mountain bike would be the best tool. I have seen one cyclist on the road to Monteverde, and I bowed to him! For your other interest, nature, I don't think Jaco is the best place to base yourselves. You mentioned Osa Peninsula and that is much better place, specially if you would like to observe red macaws. Plenty of them on Cabo Matapalo. And BTW the road between Puerto Jimenez and Carate might be just the right one for hard core cyclists on a sturdy mountain bike. Just don't know if they can be rented in Puerto Jimenez. Yes, you can fly to PJ from SJO, but no bike on the plane!

Puerto Jimenez...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Corcovado & Osa Peninsula,Costa Rica

I think you might be a little mixed up.

South of Jaco, past Quepos is Manual Antonio National Park.

In the very south of the country is the Osa Peninsula and Corcovado National Park.

Jaco is very far away from Jaco, and would be a very long boat ride for a day trip (as I mentioned in my reply to your PM).

If you are seriously interested in the Scarlet Macaws (Lapa Roja) you would be best served to visit the Osa Peninsula, though you may find them in Manual Antonio Park, but not in the abundance you would find on the Osa.

And for NATURE, there is no place better than Corcovado National Park where you will have opportunities to see not only the Scarlet Macaw, but many other tropical birds, and mammals like Tapir, all 4 species of monkey that live in Costa Rica, Ant eaters, maybe a puma if your lucky, and many more.

Feel free to PM me again and I'll try to get you on the right track.

Pura Vida,

Ballardo

3. Re: Corcovado & Osa Peninsula,Costa Rica

We would like to do The Osa Peninsula and the Corcovado National Park and have 7 days to do it next moth.Is the season right,ie is it raining there.

We arrive at San Jose then how to get to the park and what sort of accommodations and tours are available.

The best Western was given as an example of a bed and Breakfast accommodation but as you say its far away.

What we would like to do is Hike, hike,swim,and will cycle also,basically looking for suggestions and costs near this area..even accommodations with day trips.

Pennsylvania
reviews: 1
4. Re: Corcovado & Osa Peninsula,Costa Rica

We just returned from a two week trip - we stayed at TikiVillas in Uvita. It was quite lovely - high up so that you could see over the tops of trees and out to the ocean, easy to find, and we found it very easy to get to Ballena National Park and Corcovado National Park. Be aware the driving in CR is very different from driving in Ontario - you can safely add 20-30 minutes to any directions you are given. Have a wonderful time - I believe you will find this to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to share nature and the warm, Tico culture!

Puerto Jimenez...
5. Re: Corcovado & Osa Peninsula,Costa Rica

You can boat to Corcovado from Uvita, it's it's a long boat ride. (but shorter than from Jaco)

Most people base themselves in Puerto Jimenez (if hiking) or in Drake Bay (if boating) for trips into Corcovado and Sirena Biological Station.

If you are really interested in seeing nature, instead of basing yourself quite a ways north of Corcovado, instead, base yourself on the Osa Peninsula itself where you will have great opportunities for daily wildlife encounters.

For exploring Corcovado from the Osa Peninsula, I suggest 5 days:

Day One: arrive in Puerto Jimenez, meet your guide, take care of any business

Day Two: travel to Los Patos or La Leona Ranger Stations and all day hike to Sirena

Day Three: enjoy the trails around Sirena Station, especially dusk and dawn

Day Four: all day hike from Sirena to La Leona, and on to Carate to meet transportation back to Puerto Jimenez

Day Five: Depart for other areas.

Or if you wish to boat in, substitute Puerto Jimenez for Drake Bay.

Pura Vida.

Ballardo

6. Re: Corcovado & Osa Peninsula,Costa Rica

Being Seniors ,we prefer Day trips with fall back on comforts in the evenings.

Drake bay and Jimenez both appeals,my passion is Macaws and my wife the sea.

We are familiar with most areas of Costa Rica barring the West Coast and Osa.

So Which is the quickest way to This area from San Jose and can you suggest one place to station ourselves to do all .

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 52
7. Re: Corcovado & Osa Peninsula,Costa Rica

For day trips, we have stayed at Cabinas Jimenez in Puerto Jimenez, and having a car we were able to drive to Cabo Matapalo area for hiking (more like walking) along the coastline, and there are also some nice beaches like Pan Dulce. One can organise a guided one day hike into Corcovado, with a guide, and boat tours. There are also other acommodations, more upscale and more basic, to choose from Also enough of restaurants for a week, although I would stay max. 5 days. Best and quickest way is to fly in from San Jose.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 69
8. Re: Corcovado & Osa Peninsula,Costa Rica

More convenient place to see the Macaws is Carara National park, between Manuel Antonio and San Jose.

Manuel Antonio isn't a very good place to see macaws.

Puerto Jimenez...
9. Re: Corcovado & Osa Peninsula,Costa Rica

If I'm understanding what you are wanting to enjoy, Drake Bay could be a great place for you. You can fly directly to Drake Bay from San Jose on Nature Air or Sansa Air.

You can day hike along the coastal trail by yourself, stopping along the way to enjoy small hidden beaches, birdwatch, look for monkeys and sloths as well as macaws.For day trips, you can boat to Corcovado at San Pedrillo and / or at Sirena. If you head to Sirena, I think you and your wife would enjoy overnighting, where you can enjoy the park during dawn and dusk,

If you found you had a few extra days to enjoy the Osa, you could follow xelas's advice and visit Cabo Matapalo, where you will see a whole different ecosystem of Osa Peninsula. You can enjoy the macaws here and your wife can enjoy another type of beach. You could fly out of Puerto Jimenez directly to San Jose on Nature or Sansa, too.

Pura Vida,

Ballardo

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
10. Re: Corcovado & Osa Peninsula,Costa Rica

We saw scarlet macaws almost daily from our lodging in Drake Bay. I agree with jaguardman that Drake Bay sounds like a good base for your exploration of the Osa and Corcovado.