We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for third night

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 14
Best place for third night

Hi there,

We have our schedule pretty much sorted for two weeks in February. Alajuela for two nights (late night arrival), then manuel Antonio, monteverde, la fortuna, sarapiqui, tortoguero and then San Jose for the last night. W have two nights scheduled with a third night got monteverde and wondered people's opinion if this was best or an additional night in sarapiqui or tortoguero. Opinions obviously differ but welcome any thoughts.

Thanks

San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 2
1. Re: Best place for third night

I would stay an extra night in Manual Antonio by the beach or Fortuna in the hot springs. Good luck on your trip that is alot of places to see in a short time.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 52
2. Re: Best place for third night

So you will stay 2 nights 1 day at each location??!! Are you aware of the time you will spent on road driving between all these locations? Well, its your holidays but surely not my idea how to spent two weeks abroad. I would skip Monteverde and add additional time to Manuel Antonio, La Fortuna or Sarapiqui, and Tortuguero.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
3. Re: Best place for third night

I think xelas hit the nail on the head. Sounds like you will literally spend 1/2 your trip in the car driving or checking into and out of hotels. Instead of just counting nites I'd recommend that you put together a detailed activity with driving times and anticipated activities before you decide to try and cover so many places in so short a time. You can use www.yourtravelmap.com to plot out driving times and routes between each of your stops.

Nottingham, United...
4. Re: Best place for third night

Thanks for the feedback and appreciate the points raised. Given the locations then it might be best to drop tortuguero or manuel Antonio, we did look at flying one or more sections but the luggage restrictions are quite tight.

We frequently take similar trips with typically two or three nights in each location, were in Sri Lanka earlier this year for two weeks, and stayed in seven places; transfers between stops were typically three to four hours, so similar to transfers between the costa rica locations weve proposed, and we used a combination of taxi, car and driver and local bus though Sri Lanka was a lot cheaper in terms of transport.

Appreciate that travel times are slow in terms of distance covered, however most Americans seem to do Europe in a week so comparatively leisurely I thought!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 52
5. Re: Best place for third night

Ha, Europe in a week?! Whatever, Sri Lanka might be interesting to travel in such a way since the towns there are interesting, tempels and all. In Costa Rica it is all about outdoors, nature, hiking, and it takes more time for those activities. That is why we recommend you to stay at least 3 nights at each location. Even if you fly between some of your locations it still takes time to board and unboard and get to the hotel ... If deciding between MA and Tortuguero I would skip MA.

Nottingham, United...
6. Re: Best place for third night

Thanks for response, and appreciate the points raised, we've done similar elsewhere but accept your points and will probably drop MA.

7. Re: Best place for third night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 19, 2013