We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Corcovado plan

Melbourne, Australia
Help with Corcovado plan

Hello, we are planning to spend 3 nights in the region. we were thinking to leave PJ in the morning with the truck to the park, hike to Sirena, stay over night in Sirena and second day go back, catch the 16:00 truck back to PJ.

Is it realistic ir we just burning ourselfs and should stay extra night in carate/sirena?

is there a way to drive all the way to sirena to save the 16 km walk?

we are coming mid april, can we book the sirena accomodation while we are in PJ, a few days before?

thanks a lot!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: Help with Corcovado plan

You can not drive to Sirena as there are no roads. The path from La Leona to Sirena is a long exposed hike, mostly along the beach. You need tidetables to cross the rivers at low tide and that will determine the best time to depart La Leona and Sirena. IMO this is the least scenic of hikes in Corcovado and you will have minimal time (and energy) to hike the rainforest around Sirena unless you stay 2 nites. Recommend hike in from Los Patos and out to La Leona as better route. Definitely need advance reservations for lodging and meals at Sirena. You can book 30 days out and I would not wait til your arrival or there may be no space. See more at http://www.soldeosa.com/corcovado%20park.htm

Have you considered approaching from the Drake Bay side where access to Sirena is by boat?

Melbourne, Australia
2. Re: Help with Corcovado plan

Thanks, Los Patos and out to La Leona is actually a better option - thanks.

How would i get to Los Patos? are there bussess/shuttles to the entrance of the park?

I looked at Drake bay, but its a bit hard to get to there. but i will re-examine. so say get to DB, saty the night, early morning take the boat to Sirena, hike around, stay night at Sirena and leave through Los Patos/La Leona?

Perhaps its viable to take the boat to sirena, and slowly hike back to Los Patos/La Leona? or is it important to stay the night there?

any recomendation of how to get to DB? we are coming from MA. I saw Cabinas Jade Mar offer some reasonable accomodation there and pick up from sierpe.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 69
3. Re: Help with Corcovado plan

Easiest/shortest way (within a reasonable cost) is to boat into Sirena from Drake Bay (not an option from Puerto Jimenez).

You can boat in, spend 1-3 nights, and then boat back to Drake Bay. You could even leave unnecessary gear at your lodge in Drake Bay.

Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: Help with Corcovado plan

how about spend one night and go back to Los Patos? Sirena to Los Patos can be hiked within one day, right?

Melbourne, Australia
5. Re: Help with Corcovado plan

i mean boat to sirena from DB, one day in sirena and go to Los Patos and PJ

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Help with Corcovado plan

The problem with boating in from Drake Bay and walking out via Puerto Jimenez side or vice versa is that it would normally mean carrying all your belongings through the park, as opposed to leaving non-essential items in DB/PJ. The hikes in and out of Sirena are long and hot and best done with as little belongings as possible. So that's something to bear in mind. For this reason, I would advise either to boat in and out via DB, or walk in and out via PJ side and not a combinationof the two.

Sirena-La Leona is a much more productive trail for animal viewings but it can be tough walking in the heat along the beach as crfan says.

Los Patos-Sirena trail takes you through some primary forest and gives you a different view of Corcovado. It is downhill from Los Patos to Sirena so this is the conventional way to do this trail.

Some poeple do spend only 1 night in Sirena - walking in via La Leona or Los Patos and then out the next day via La Leona. Just means you don't have an extra day to recover and explore the trails around Sirena in a leisurely fashion at dawn and dusk when wildlife tneds to be more active. If you are able to find an extra night, it would be well spent in Sirena.

hope thats useful

Edited: 2:39 pm, March 14, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
7. Re: Help with Corcovado plan

We are coming from MA and have three days in the park. I thought it would be closer and more convineint to get through DB. (shutle from MA to Sierpe and a boat) then there is a boat to sirena.

if we go from PJ, we need to hike all the way to sirena and following day another hike, and its a bit too much for us towards the end of the trip.

if we do DB-sirena DB, can we do some of the sirena-la leona trail during the day to see the wildlife? or are there any other day trails near sirena for wildlife?

thanks...

Cambridge, United...
8. Re: Help with Corcovado plan

I think boating in and out of Drake Bay is ideal in your situation. Staying overnight at Sirena is a fantastic experience.

There is a network of short trails around Sirena for you to explore and always an abundance of wildlife.

A place on a boat needs to be reserved beforehand (i.e. there is no boat taxi service - its all done through lodges/guided tours). It is probably best to coordinate all this with a lodge/operator who can sort out your boat transfer, park permits and reservations. You could also arrange a guide to join you and this would be valuable if your budget stretches to it.

Melbourne, Australia
9. Re: Help with Corcovado plan

so how long is it actually walking from sirena to laleona? across the internet i found all answers from 5-8 hours! anyone did it recently? we are ok walkers.

Cambridge, United...
10. Re: Help with Corcovado plan

it's about 17km to La Leona and then another couple of kilometers to Carate.

So its possible to do the hike in 5 hours or less, but its nice to take your time, enjoy the hike and also spend time with any wildlife you come across. That's why its nice to set aside a few hours longer.

Note that the tides do play a role in determining how you approach this hike as there is one point (Salsipuedes) that can't be crossed at high tide. THere are also a couple of rivers that can be harder (or impossible after heavy rain) to cross at high tide. This may impact on how to time the hike