We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corcovado with kids - appreciate your thoughts...

Takoma Park...
reviews: 42
Corcovado with kids - appreciate your thoughts...

My family is excited to get to Corcovado. We've done a lot of jungle (and desert) hiking.

But my girls are 9 and 12, so there is a limit to what they can take. I want to design this trip for maximum animal sighting. I need to be careful about the walking distances too. We will definitely stay at least one night at Sirena ranger station, buy the meals and use a guide. We will be there the week before Easter 2012.

1) Getting in and out: Boat from Drakes Bay? Or Puerto Jimenez?

This is the hardest to figure out. We will be at Dominical/Uvita before Corcovado, and can easily get to either spot.

Drakes has some advanatages 1) beaches, some other activities and (I think) we can boat very close to Sirena station, which will put us deep into the park and save the legs of my daughters for the best animal area.

But Drakes lodging is expensive, and I'm intrigued by the Los Patos approach. Is that a great hike on it's own? I think the kids would find any beach approach - in the sun and sand - too exhausting.

2) Two nights or one night at the station?

I'm leaning toward two nights, but I'd like opinions. What do people do during the middle of the day there? They can't hike for 6 miles a day, three days in a row. It will be too much. One night might be best, but that doesn't leave much morning / evening time, which is best for animals.

3) We will have a hard time bringing much gear. What will we need? mosquito net, flashlight, towel, water and some snack food, we know. But what else? Rubber boots? We usually bring Teva's and hiking boots, but we needed rubber boots in the amazon.

4) To stay in the dorm or platform? I've heard pros and cons. The girls won't sleep well with bugs, and I don't sleep well in heat. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post.

Puerto Jimenez...
reviews: 3
11. Re: Corcovado with kids - appreciate your thoughts...

Here is a link to a TA review for "Corcovado for the Whole Family"

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g309280-d164…

12. Re: Corcovado with kids - appreciate your thoughts...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 24, 2013