We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Corcovado - help needed.

Bay Area, California
reviews: 5
Planning a trip to Corcovado - help needed.

Hi,

We're going to be in CR in the end of December and would like to dedicate 2-3 days to Corcovado park.

Our itinerary is as follows:

Landing in SJ -> Arenal -> Monte Verde -> Manual antonio -> Corcovado park

Corcovado can be in the beginning of the trip or the end of it. We will hike Los Patos -> Sirena -> La Leona. We heard the second part is very tough and you get horrible blisters in your feet. Is that correct? If this is the case we will want to do it in the end of the trip

Regarding rented car - should we return the car and fly to Corcovado and rely on transfers or keep the car? money wise? time wise?

is there a place to park the car if we're two days in the park?

How can we make sure we'll have accomodation? I see you need to book 30 days in advance, is there a chance to find something in Cristmas? I will probably book it through Paul

Thanks

Dorit

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 56
1. Re: Planning a trip to Corcovado - help needed.

Usually go from Drake's stay at

www.jinetesdeosa.com

Park car in Sierpe

Hike is challenging with good footgear

blisters are optional

Do book around xmas...

www.bosquedelcabo.com more upscale options

also if budget is very good but might be booked

already.

Usually save Osa for last it is the best.

Have fun,

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 56
2. Re: Planning a trip to Corcovado - help needed.

www.corcovado.org good info

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 16
3. Re: Planning a trip to Corcovado - help needed.

Since you know about Paul, I assume you know about this site, but just in case: http://www.corcovadoguide.com/

Seems to have the most comprehensive information about the park, planning a hike, etc. It's great.

I'm doing the same thing you are -- Los Patos to Sirena to La Leona. Two nights in Sirena. I'll also be there in December, but I'm doing my hike Dec 10, 11 and 12. Wish you were going to be there earlier as I'm looking for folks to help split the cost of a guide. If your plans aren't set yet, think about it and let me know.

What I'm doing is staying the night before I begin my hike at Danta Corcovado Lodge. It's a great-looking lodge in Guadalupe, outside of La Palma. The next morning, the guide and I will be renting horses from Danta to ride 2 to 3 hours to get closer to the Los Patos trailhead. Two nights at Sirena, and then hike out via La Leona and Carate.

At this point, I'm planning on getting back to Puerto Jimenez that last day and spending the last night at Cabinas Jimenez. I bet they'd let you park your car there if you end up driving -- if you have reservations for your last night. Certainly worth emailing them.

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Planning a trip to Corcovado - help needed.

You can also contact...maurpi@hotmail.com

He runs his own lodge in Carate beach...great location to explore Corcovado...you fly into Puerto Jimenez...and take the colectivo to Carate about 0ne hour ride!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Bay Area, California
reviews: 5
5. Re: Planning a trip to Corcovado - help needed.

Hi plumboy

We have tickets for the end of December, sorry :-(

The annoying thing is that I don't know if we'll be able to make the reservations to Sirena, so I don't know how to book the other hotels or the hotels in the area (day before, day after). there are only 20 beds there so you can never know

Am I missing something? is there a way to guarantee the nights there?

How much does your guide charge? Do you do your arrangement through Paul?

Thanks

Dorit

6. Re: Planning a trip to Corcovado - help needed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 15, 2010