We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drake bay or puerto jimenez as entry for corcovado?help!

scotland
drake bay or puerto jimenez as entry for corcovado?help!

we are looking foward to lovely holiday in Costa Rica. We have planned our route and would love to end our trip by going to Corcovado NP.

The only thing is that we dont drive and from my research it is not the easiest place to get to!

Originally we wanted to base ourselves in Drake Bay and do the Cano Island day trip and 2 days exploring the NP. However, apparently it can be a touch walk starting from there as there are river crossings and crocs etc.

We basically want to do a few hikes that are mainly easy and see some wildlife!

Any tips?

We only have 3 days and wanted to see turtles. there are also many lodges to look into such as Lapa Rios!

Costa Rica
reviews: 1
1. Re: drake bay or puerto jimenez as entry for corcovado?help!

You said that "We basically want to do a few hikes that are mainly easy and see some wildlife!" Must you do this in Corcovado National Park? Why?

Someone forgot to tell the wildlife on the Osa Peninsula that there is a border to the national park and that they are supposed to stay inside it. Consequently, they have the nerve to wander about all over the place, and there are trails inside and outside the park. The ones outside the park are more accessible, and they have the exact same wildlife, and the same flora and fauna as you will find in the national park. Unless you are wanting to add another name to a a list of national parks that you have visited, you need not actually hike INSIDE Corcovado National Park in order to experience the biodiversity that the area offers.

My suggestion is that you pick a spot in Drake Bay, and then wander about the trails nearby. You will experience everything that those who make the arduous hike into the national park experience, but you will do so with less hassle and less wear and tear on your boots. And you will have saved the national park entrance fee! And we promise not to tell anyone that you didn't actualy go INSIDE Corcovado National Park ;-)

San Isidro de El...
reviews: 43
2. Re: drake bay or puerto jimenez as entry for corcovado?help!

I would highly recommend Bosque del Cabo. They have tons of wildlife. Recently a guest saw two pumas and has the pictures to prove it. Much nicer hiking trails and grounds imo than Lapa Rios and just up the road.

Georgia
reviews: 10
3. Re: drake bay or puerto jimenez as entry for corcovado?help!

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, as always. We are going in March (to BDC) and have been learning so much from all of your posts. I recently checked for posts about whether hiking boots are "required" for hikes around BDC....one person wrote that (at least in the Osa area in general) they are not necessary, just good closed walking/hiking shoes for the trails, and a pair of good walking sandals for other areas. Anyone want to chime in on this? We'd rather not bring the heavy boots along if we can get by with good walking shoes on the BDC trails-- we understand that we should probably not wear sandals on the trails though, due to the ground critters. But we'll bring the gortex boots if necessary-- we want to be prepared.....I should add that we'll also be spending time in other regions-- but the most "intense" hiking that we'll be doing will be around BDC....

Jilyano, don't know when you're going, but would love to hear a report from you after you return. Have a great holiday!

4. Re: drake bay or puerto jimenez as entry for corcovado?help!

We were at BdC the last week of February into March. We were there for 5 days and did quite a bit of hiking. I did my first hike in my Keens and the rest in my Tevas. My son did all of his in his Keens. Many of the trails have water features (streams to cross, creek beds to hike in, beach hiking, etc.) so I would recommend wearing something water-friendly. If you feel more comfortable in a completely closed shoe, something like the Salomon "Amphibians" would work well.

There are a lot of roots, steps and such on the BdC trails, so unless you're pretty nimble on such terrain, you should probably protect your toes with something like the Keens.

For what it's worth, I personally don't ever wear "big" hiking boots unless I'm backpacking and need the extra heel/ankle support to compensate for the extra weight. Sometimes I do wear them in winter to deal with snow, mud, etc.

scotland
5. Re: drake bay or puerto jimenez as entry for corcovado?help!

I will def let you know how our trip goes!

Thanks for all the info - sounds like bdc is the place for us then!

how on earth do i get from monteverde to quepos?

Are ALL the roads bad? I travelled in Peru and i wouldnt even say they had roads just loads of rocks to drive over!

Georgia
reviews: 10
6. Re: drake bay or puerto jimenez as entry for corcovado?help!

Thanks, Sumi (again ;-)

We've got plenty of pairs of Keens each (our faves)... so we'll just plan to bring them...

7. Re: drake bay or puerto jimenez as entry for corcovado?help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, October 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park