We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo gal looking for help planning a week in CR(Osa Penn)!

San Francisco...
Solo gal looking for help planning a week in CR(Osa Penn)!

Hi!

I am visiting Costa Rcica, on my own and for the first time in June from the 18th to the 25th. I am traveling on a budget and when I arrive into San Jose it will be 11:30am. My departing flight is early on the 25th so i plan to make it back to San Jose the 24th and stay overnight in a hostel.

I had so many recommendations of where to go and a few expected ones (Arenal, Cloud Forest, Manuel Antonio). I am realizing after speaking with more folks that the Osa Penninsula is where i should actually be going. I am definitely eager to have a rainforest adventure mixed with some mind-clearing spiritual r & r and beach-side exploration).

Now i have attempted to independently research where i could stay (hostels/cheap but safe accommodations) and where i should go/explore, but i'm a bit overwhelmed!

Any thoughts or help in planning this would be fantastic!

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
1. Re: Solo gal looking for help planning a week in CR(Osa Penn)!

First of all, the airport SJO is not actually located in San Jose, but in Alajuela which is about 30 minutes from San Jose. There is lodging of all sorts and all prices in the Alajuela area, not more than 15 minutes from the airport.

As far as where to go: Figure two locations -- three at the most. Because it takes a whole day to get to the Osa Peninsula by land, most people who go there tend to fly. An alternative is to stay somewhere in the Dominical/Uvita area and you can do a day trip to Manuel Antonio or a day trip to Corcovado and still have your great beach time.

One very workable possibility is to visit Arenal and Uvita. This will give you your "volcano/mountain" experience and your "beach" experience.

www.arenal.net for good information about that area and also www.fortunawelcome.com

Jaco, Costa Rica
2. Re: Solo gal looking for help planning a week in CR(Osa Penn)!

It has been many years and I don't know names there but search around for Puerto Jimenez. It is a sleepy little beach town and close to Corcovado. There were maybe 6 of us some we rented a house that fit us all but I remember prices for accomodations being very reasonable compared with other parts of CR.

Puerto Jimenez...
reviews: 20
3. Re: Solo gal looking for help planning a week in CR(Osa Penn)!

I'm living in Puerto Jimenez for a few months and it's a pretty nice town. It's convenient especially if you're going to visit the Corcovado National Park. There are a few good accommodations here: tripadvisor.ca/Tourism-g309284-Puerto_Jimene…

I haven't stayed in any but have heard good things. The town's not too touristy, if you want to experience a more 'real' small Costa Rican town.

4. Re: Solo gal looking for help planning a week in CR(Osa Penn)!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 11, 2014