We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bosque del Cabo or Cabinas Jimenez

Santa Monica, CA
Bosque del Cabo or Cabinas Jimenez

Hi all,

My wife and I will be in the Osa for 5 days - 2 to arrive and depart and 3 full. We come into Puerto Jimenez via Sansa airlines. We originally wanted to do the 3 day hike into Corcovado, but my wife no longer wants to commit to the full 3 days.

So should we stay at Bosque del Cabo or Cabinas Jimenez to get the best experience of the Osa? We want to day hike, see animals and birds.

If staying at Cabinas Jimenez must we travel to Matapalo area to hike and see the best wildlife each day or are there plenty of trails around Puerto Jimenez for this?

I also read on here that a day hike/ trip to Corcovado from PJ isn't practical. Does Staying at Bosque del Cabo make it much better to do this day hike or one doesn't gain much benefit either way?

Can the trails and property at Bosque del Cabo be accessed by people who aren't staying at their hotel?

Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Bosque del Cabo or Cabinas Jimenez

No way you can compare the two locations...Bosque del Cabo is a high end place...CAbinas Jimenez is a very simple place...nice and clean...but basic....

roadadvisor

Ottawa
reviews: 6
2. Re: Bosque del Cabo or Cabinas Jimenez

To get the better experience I would recommend Bosque. It is a much more beautiful area than Puerto Jimenez and it is surrounded by rainforest and close to some stunning beaches. The wildlife is abundant and there are many great trails to hike on. You can go to Corcovado for a day hike from there...about an hour drive to Carate...but if you only have 3 full days I don't think it's worth it. You can see plenty of wildlife just from your cabin at Bosque! You can go on a trail at Bosque if you are not a guest, provided you have a meal there and you tell them what you are planning to do. I imagine, however, this all depends on your budget because Bosque would be much more expensive that Cabinas Jimenez. Buena suerte!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 93
3. Re: Bosque del Cabo or Cabinas Jimenez

We loved staying at BdC. We saw all 4 kinds of monkeys there, an anteater, sloths, toucans, and scarlet macaws. Their trail system is fantastic, and they have excellent guides. If you can swing the cost, it's worth staying there. The cabins are perched on a cliff with ocean views.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 75
4. Re: Bosque del Cabo or Cabinas Jimenez

For wildlife and hiking, Bosque del Cabo in a landslide.

Of course, it's many times more expensive.

If you were more interested in water activities (fishing, dolphins etc) Cabinas Jimenez would be a more competitive choice and better for those activities.

Edited: 6:32 pm, April 22, 2013
5. Re: Bosque del Cabo or Cabinas Jimenez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, April 24, 2013
San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Bosque del Cabo or Cabinas Jimenez

Just be sure to check for different places...some are just incredible expensive...the only happy person will be the owner of the resort laughing all the way to the bank...you can find great wild life at simple clean places ..you will see the same monkey for thousands of dollars less...why pay more for the same..?? You do not have to the catch of the day...!

roadadvisor

St. Petersburg...
reviews: 29
7. Re: Bosque del Cabo or Cabinas Jimenez

If you're looking for wildlife & hiking, then you can't beat Bosque del Cabo (nor compare it to Cabinas Jimenez). At Bosque you will have all of that and more literally right at your door. They have enough private trails to keep you occupied for several days, plus the private cabinas looking out over the ocean are wonderful.

At Cabinas J, it's more like a small motel setting, next to the small but great little town of Puerto Jimenez. You will most likely see some macaws in town but for anything else you'll need to head out of town. Rooms #1 and #10 are the nicest IMO.

Santa Monica, CA
8. Re: Bosque del Cabo or Cabinas Jimenez

Thank you all!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 93
9. Re: Bosque del Cabo or Cabinas Jimenez

midori, I love it that you've stayed at so many of these places.

10. Re: Bosque del Cabo or Cabinas Jimenez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, April 27, 2013