We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to change money??

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 2
Where to change money??

Hello! I'm planning a trip to the Osa Peninsula in February and will be staying at Ojo del Mar. They don't accept credit cards as payment - only cash or traveler's checks. When we fly in, we will only have a few hours to get from the San Jose airport to the smaller Nature Air airport. I have heard that the money exchange at the airport is very expensive, but I don't know where else to go. I am also hesitant to carry that much cash to the hotel. How would you handle this situation? I'm assuming that there probably isn't anywhere handy near Ojo del Mar to exchange money.

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
1. Re: Where to change money??

Perhaps you can pay your hotel bill with travelers cheques freeing up your cards and keeping a bunch of cash out of your pocket. There is an ATM in the final part of the arrivals section, before you clear the last scan for customs, and it has the BCR logo on it. That is where you can use your debit card to take out some US or colone cash for incidentals and snacks for the next part of your journey, as there isn't an ATM at the Pavas airport for Nature Air. There are banks in just about every corner of the country and the ATM's work fine with most major cards, and your visa or mastercard will be accepted at hotels and restaurants, so there is no true need for a pocket full of cash.

Have a great and worry free holiday.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Where to change money??

Do not worry...your driver will know where you can stop to exchange money...many...many banks on the way from SJO to Tobias Bolaños Airport...

Travellers Checks...I´m even surprised they will honor them...since here for almost every body that runs a bussines...it is so hard to dealt with them.. if they do go for that option...

Please enjoy our country as we NATIVES do!!

roadadvcisor

Bethesda MD
reviews: 15
3. Re: Where to change money??

There is at least one ATM in the center of Puerto Jimenez, which you'll pass through en route to OdM. It's connected to a bank, which probably offers exchange service, but there's no need to rely on that; you should be able to just withdraw from your home account. PJ is small and the ATM is easy to find. I know it dispenses colones, can't remember re dollars (many CR ATMs offer both, and CR hotels and other international-tourism-oriented business typically accept payment in either). It may be Spanish-only, but the options are the standard ones, so with even just a rudimentary Spanish vocabulary you'll figure it out.

Toronto
4. Re: Where to change money??

I don't see the problem here. You stated that they accept traveller's cheques. Problem solved.

Puerto Jimenez...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Where to change money??

There are two banks on Main Street in Puerto Jimenez, Banco de Costa Rica, and Banco Nacional. They are located diagonal to one another on the main street heading out of the center towards BM Supermarket. They both have ATM machines.

Pura Vida, Ballardo

6. Re: Where to change money??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, December 17, 2013