We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Type of Knee Socks?

Philadelphia...
reviews: 28
What Type of Knee Socks?

The only type of knee socks that I've come across are wool. Is there another type out there that makes more sense? This is what Lapa Rios suggests.

"Sports socks that go up to your knees (this is to make sure you don’t get a rash when wearing our rubber boots on the rainforest hikes)."

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: What Type of Knee Socks?

There are plenty of cotton knee socks out there if you stop looking for fancy "hiking" socks. I just wear stretch pants however, that you can tuck into the boots so you won't need long socks and won't come back with filthy muddy pants after each hike. I take the 2nd part back. I always come back from hikes pretty filthy but that's just me playing in the mud.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 95
2. Re: What Type of Knee Socks?

We don't wear socks; we just hike in waterproof Keen sandals. Socks would be too hot for me. The Osa is pretty warm and humid.

Bethesda MD
reviews: 15
3. Re: What Type of Knee Socks?

Google vented hiking or running socks. They come in many lengths. Ankle-length vented coolmax running socks (from woolrich?) worked well for me. Dark colors will look better later.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: What Type of Knee Socks?

I just wear the affordable socks and most of the time I just do wear a clean new pair every time...!

roadadvisor

Philadelphia...
5. Re: What Type of Knee Socks?

Which would you choose:

White cotton

or

80% acrylic, 10% stretch nylon, 10% elastic.

I have not found "hiking socks" in knee high length.

Bethesda MD
reviews: 15
6. Re: What Type of Knee Socks?

White cotton, if that's the choice. But it's not.http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/backpacking+socks.html

Philadelphia...
7. Re: What Type of Knee Socks?

I spoke to REI earlier and unfortunately they don't carry knee high socks.

St. Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for Osa Peninsula
reviews: 30
8. Re: What Type of Knee Socks?

I would just wear hiking shoes or keen's. I'm not sure why you would need to wear rubber boots.

9. Re: What Type of Knee Socks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 08, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Osa Peninsula