We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Bug Spray Do You Suggest?

Philadelphia...
reviews: 28
Which Bug Spray Do You Suggest?

We're going to be staying at Lapa Rios. Can you suggest a particular brand of bug sray that is effective in the rain forest? Thank you!

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
1. Re: Which Bug Spray Do You Suggest?

If you don't care to douse your body with immune system damaging Off (Deet), and provided you aren't going into the jungles to engage the wildlife, here is a great link for suggested repellents, from Vitamin B, to Avon's Skin so Soft which works really well. puertoquepos.com/store/insect-repellents.html Of course light and bright color clothing keep the bad guys away as well.

Stuff is readily available in PA, and a great deal cheaper than buying it here.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 5
2. Re: Which Bug Spray Do You Suggest?

Cutter Advance with Picaridin works great for me, mosquitoes love me.

Midland, Texas
reviews: 114
3. Re: Which Bug Spray Do You Suggest?

If you are prone to bites from mosquitoes, Deep Woods Off.

Would highly advise using a DEET containing product if mosquitoes seek you out.

Unfortunately Avon's Skin so Soft, Vit. B, Garlic tablets, etc don't consistently work for all. By the time you find out the products didn't work...you may be covered in bites.

Insect repellant is available most areas of Costa Rica--but is less expensive in the US.

Monteverde, Costa...
reviews: 40
4. Re: Which Bug Spray Do You Suggest?

Deep Woods Off works best. It has the highest percentage DEET. Good for adults. Look for something less toxic for children (less percentage).

I would rather use insect repellent that is effective than to get dengue fever or a skin infection from scratching bites.

Buy the Off in the USA. Much cheaper.

Wear clothing that covers you well when in the jungle. Beware that the sand flies and mosquitos bite mostly at dawn and dusk.

If you have a patio at your hotel use a coil to ward off the mosquitos. You can get them in any store here in Costa Rica.

Bring some benadryl or claritin. It may help with the itching from the bites when you get them.

Edited: 2:59 pm, July 14, 2012
Philadelphia...
5. Re: Which Bug Spray Do You Suggest?

Thank you! My husband uses Deep Woods Off when he goes camping here. That was a great suggestion about the coil. Do you think it would acceptable for us to use at a place like Lapa Rios?Thank you!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
6. Re: Which Bug Spray Do You Suggest?

i use avon skin so soft in the day and overnight (in bed)

outdoors at night off! smooth n dry

in the room raid plug-in, the kind with the little jar underneath, available in every grocery store i've ever been in.

of course you could also get roadadvisor to follow you around, they'll bite him instead of you!

San Jose, Costa Rica
7. Re: Which Bug Spray Do You Suggest?

OFF...it works great...at least in my case and I drive around my country almost daily...

roadadvisor

Toronto
8. Re: Which Bug Spray Do You Suggest?

Products containing DEET are the only things that work for me. Natural products sound great, but are basically ineffective.

Contrary to popular belief, a product with a higher % of DEET is not more effective than a product with a lower %. It works LONGER, not BETTER. Concentrations over 50% do not increase the length of effectiveness over those at 50%.

So, use the lowest % that you can (10% to 25% is the most you need in almost every situation - if it stops being effective, just reapply). And anything over 50% is just wasting your money.

According to the CDC, 25% DEET lasts about 5 hours, 20% about 4 hours, 6.65% about 2 hours, 5% about 1.5 hours.

Products containing picaridin are also recommended by the CDC, but don't last as long as DEET based products. They may, however, be less offensive to some.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 5
9. Re: Which Bug Spray Do You Suggest?

I don't think Lapas Rios will object to you using coils. Send them an email.

Philadelphia...
10. Re: Which Bug Spray Do You Suggest?

Thank you, everyone. That's one thing I can check off my list. Thanks again.