We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica snorkel

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kelowna, British...
Costa Rica snorkel

I am looking to find out the best spots to snorkel in Costa Rica. I hear that in general the waters may not be as clear and interesting as for example Caribbean islands, Bali. I hope this is not true.

New York City, New...
1. Re: Costa Rica snorkel

It's true. Snorkeling off CR doesn't compare to the Caribe because of silt/churn/runoff visibility issues.

The best there that I've experienced is in the south Caribe. There's some okay snorkeling spots around Montezuma, the Tortuga Island snorkel excursion from either Jaco or Montezuma, interesting waters off the Osa at Cano island, and other spots up and down the Pacific, but I wouldn't base a trip to CR around snorkeling. Given your comparison targets, you're bound to be disappointed.

Lund, Sweden
2. Re: Costa Rica snorkel

I dive, and mostly been doing so on the atlantic coast when it comes to viz, it was about the same as in sweden on good days so about 8-12 meters, in other words not so good (now I mean it might be better, this is a generalisation) , in Belize for example on a great day you can have 60 meters i'v heared and many of the Caribean islands has also great waters with a 20-30 m viz. Except from the lower visability factor there is not so much to look at either, not huge amounts of fish and the coral is so so. Never done wreckdiving in Costa so I cant say anything about that, and I've not heared of a wreck on snorkling depth either. But Costa Rica is a great country, incredible beaches (specially on the atlantic cost) and incredible nature so in that way I think you will be very satisfied, I been alot in Latin america and the nature and animal life beats the most, and for animalspotting I would say that the rainforests of costa rica beats even the Amazon (I was actually dissapointed when I went there last year, less animals than in costa rica and much more hassle to get to them).

Lund, Sweden
3. Re: Costa Rica snorkel

If you hang aorund on the atlantic coast you can maybe go to Bocas in Panama, the islands around there are so beautiful and I've heard the snorkling is supose to be pretty good at some places there, havent been snorkeling myself there though.

4. Re: Costa Rica snorkel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 12, 2009