We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct bus Montezuma to SJO

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 2
Direct bus Montezuma to SJO

Hi

We need to get to SJO airport by about 2pm tomorrow, from Montezuma.

I have seen and heard different websites and people stating a direct bus leaves Montezuma at 5.30am, 6am, 6.20am and 6.30am... Does anyone know the correct time?!

And, other than the ferry, is it the same bus all the way or do we have to change buses in Cobano?

Thanks

19 replies to this topic
Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
11. Re: Direct bus Montezuma to SJO

I'm just mentioning in as an option in case they were running late (something to try to avoid missing their flight), sometimes minutes matter.

I'm just relating my experiences: If it's a super long line past where they check to see if you have the form (in the middle of the line, well before the check-in counter), I have had someone wait in line for a few minutes before getting checked (while I got the tax). As I said, they might kick you out of line and it's only possibly useful if it's a super long line.

Maybe something changed or maybe some airlines do it different but that's the way it's worked for me on the dozen+ trips I've done over the last 15 years (Hey! I just realized my first trip was Easter Holy week 15 years ago!).

Hattie, have you seen anything about when they are closing the roads for one-way holiday traffic? Usually I see something here or in the Tico Times...

Gary

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
12. Re: Direct bus Montezuma to SJO

Gary -- I haven't seen anything yet in the news, but typically, they will make the road one way going to the beach on Friday (or possibly Saturday) and then one way coming back from the beach on Sunday.

London, United...
reviews: 2
13. Re: Direct bus Montezuma to SJO

Gary, Hattie - writing this from hotel bed in Lima, all went very smoothly thanks for your help.

Got on bus in Montezuma at 6.20 but we didn't leave until 6.40, then changed at Cobano onto the one which had come from S Teresa and was already quite full. I think they alternate which bus changes onto the other depending on how many people already on board. That took us all way to airport, including on / off ferry. Traffic was fine and I think road closures only happen on Easter weekend itself. Arrived at airport at 12.30 so had masses of time.

Always helpful to ask other passengers getting on in Montezuma where they're headed and stick together as it's not the most obvious process, especially with zero Spanish vocab. Great value tho for $15 each when private transfers on exact same route cost 4 times that.

Thanks again, need sleep now!

Dearborn, Michigan
14. Re: Direct bus Montezuma to SJO

Excellent, glad it all worked out. Lots of spare time!!

Yes, it's a bargin compared to shuttles heading east. It's more difficult and costly when heading west, since you have to get to San Jose. I usually do a shuttle hotel pack (Alajuela hotel plus shuttle to Montezuma and taxi for airport) which is cheaper (Montezuma Expeditions do these).

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
15. Re: Direct bus Montezuma to SJO

Gary - when "heading west" - you can always just pick up the bus for Puntarenas at La Radial bus station in Alajuela and get the ferry there and a bus for Montezuma on the other side. Also -- if determined to get the "directo" - you can bus into San Jose from the airport so really not much more costly.

Greydog: So glad everything worked out for you! Thanks for letting us know.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
16. Re: Direct bus Montezuma to SJO

or as I happened to mention in Post number 2 the Transportes Cobamo Facebook page confirms that you can actually catch it near the airport. (And I saw saw someone doing this.) Of course you have to arrive in CR early enough .

copy paste of info:

"The Direct Bus service is a great option for $15! It leaves from the San Carlos Bus Station in downtown San Jose twice a day, 6 a.m and 2 p.m. It also stops near the airport in Alajuela, ( Puente de Villa Bonita). The bus travels on the ferry, so you don't have to worry about missing connections, although when the ferry docks you have to walk off the ferry and board the bus while it's on land. The bus is comfortable and fast. Departure times coincide with the ferry schedule and both are subject to change. Phone numbers: San Jose 2221-7479 - 2642 1112 - 2642 1117"

Raquel

Dearborn, Michigan
17. Re: Direct bus Montezuma to SJO

@Raquel,

I totally missed that important point the first time around. I've only done the directo west twice and I really thought it stopped near the airport on the way out of town, but I posted that a few times (here at TA) and someone wrote me and asked me to stop posting it since it just wasn't true (so I stopped!).

Can you tell me where "Puente de Villa Bonita near SJO" is so I know where to go next time? (Is that translated as Pretty Bridge?)

THANKS!

Gary

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
18. Re: Direct bus Montezuma to SJO

Hi Gary,

it is on the main highway somewhere between the airport and Hotel Aeropuerto I think actually closer to the airport. There is a bridge and a turn off into Alajuela and a gas station . Google maps,calls the road that goes into Alajuela from there 124. you will find a bunch of people waiting for various buses. I think Villa Bonita is one of the barrios of Alajuela.

this link should take you to the Google Maps location.

http://tinyurl.com/pyptbgh

We catch the Quepos there sometimes. i think a cab is about $4.00. Not all drivers are that happy when they get such a short fare.

I would say that anyone who tries this calls the bus company on the day to make sure there will be seats and that the bus will actually stop. I don't know how full the buses get. Also, the time we were standing with the woman who got on, to me the bus did not seem that well marked..

Raquel

Dearborn, Michigan
19. Re: Direct bus Montezuma to SJO

Raquel, Thanks. Makes me a little worrisome with the possibility of errors and my Spanish stinks too (I need to spend more time there practicing!). I've heard people say they get full but I've never been on a full one.

It's kind of weird that it's not the same stop on the way to Montezuma as it is on the way back, especially since on the way back they drop you directly in front of the airport.

Thanks again!

Gary

Reply to: Direct bus Montezuma to SJO
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted