We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peaks N Swells Surf Camp.. and good for a family???

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
reviews: 8
Peaks N Swells Surf Camp.. and good for a family???

Considering a trip to Costa Rica later in May/June. Wife has been tossing around the idea of a surf camp we could stay at as a family. We have a daughter, she's 5 and can swim pretty well. Never been to Costa Rica before and never been surfing, just something we always wanted to try. Don't know how I initially came across this, but Peaks N Swells Family Surf Camp (seem to be located in Montezuma area?) came up on a lot of google searches and apparently they have a few dozen glowing reviews on TripAdvisor, but never seen them mentioned ever in any of the Costa Rica forums. I actually kind of wonder about the reviews because they all sound the same and you know what they say, when something sounds too good to be true.... just being a healthy skeptic I guess.

Anyone here have any personal experience with them? Reputable? Safe? Good option for a small child? If you're not familiar with them, are there any other places that can be recommended? We have about 7-10 days to work with at the end of May, budget/cost really isn't a concern. Just want to have a great time! Thanks!

1 reply
Chicago, IL
reviews: 8
1. Re: Peaks N Swells Surf Camp.. and good for a family???

I did get some private messages after I posted this but no public replies, so I thought I would post this to the forum so if anyone else searched for it they might find it useful.

We booked a stay here after all at the end of May and the experience was awesome. The owners of the camp were great. The property is east of Montezuma but within walking distance at the end of the road (just past the school), with just a couple houses for accommodations. Most rooms are not air-conditioned (ours wasn't), but that didn't really bother us much. I've lived in hotter before.

The food was great and healthy, and they took us everywhere we needed to go. Our daughter got sick during out stay (ear infection -- dry those ears out in the tropics!!!) and they were so good about taking us to the local clinic and pharmacy when she wasn't feeling well.

They also offered all transportation during our stay so no need to rent a car. Great place, great people, the TripAdvisor reviews were all correct! BUT -- to anyone that hasn't surfed before that's attempting it for the first time - make sure you're in shape!! This was the most demanding activity I've done in a long time - and I used to play hockey, still lift weights often, and run several times a week. Surfing kicked my butt!!

Reply to: Peaks N Swells Surf Camp.. and good for a family???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted