We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samara to Santa Teresa Coastal Route November 25th Tips?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rossland, British...
Samara to Santa Teresa Coastal Route November 25th Tips?

My wife and I will be driving from Samara to Santa Teresa around November 25th. I was wondering if it is reasonable to take the coastal route with the river crossings in a small 4x4 at this time of year or if we should go another route? If we should go another route which is the best way?

5 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
reviews: 23
1. Re: Samara to Santa Teresa Coastal Route November 25th Tips?

I strongly advise against taking the coastal route. For one thing, once you drive through a river, your rental car insurance is voided. Be sure to check your rental contract.

Otherwise, there are three choices:

1. Drive to Rt 1 and go south to Puntarenas and take the ferry to Paquera and drive the rest of the way.

2. Drive to the town of Nicoya and go south on Rt 21 to Playa Naranjo and then on to Santa Teresa. There is a very rough stretch of road but if you are patient and don't mind the bumps and going slow, it will be OK.

3. Drive to the town of Nicoya and go south on Rt 21 to Playa Naranjo. Take the ferry from Playa Naranjo to Puntarenas and then ferry back to Paquera. More expensive but you eliminate the bad road between Playa Naranjo and Paquera.

Edited: 1:43 pm, November 14, 2013
Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
2. Re: Samara to Santa Teresa Coastal Route November 25th Tips?

I agree, don't do the coast.

Ive tried to do the Santa Teresa to Samara and it's confusing. I couldn't even figure out how to cross the first real river and it was dry April vs. the end of the rainy season (i gave up, I'll try again some other time). I've done Nicoya to/from Playa Naranjo several times and it's easy and doable. I did it during some pretty bad rain one August and came out fine and it was a tiny car (I can't even remember if it was a 4x4).

It you're doing paper maps and not GPS, get a compass, the roads around there are not straight and it's hard to figure out what way you are facing (let alone where you are).

Gary

Portsmouth, Virginia
reviews: 57
3. Re: Samara to Santa Teresa Coastal Route November 25th Tips?

I plan to take this route in late February or early March 2014.

My Tico friend who made this trip a few years ago suggested it was relatively easy during the dry season but that setting off as the tide was going out was advisable as there are rivers to cross and one area where they needed to drive on the beach.

Having someone along who is fluent in Spanish is advisable as asking directions along the way will be needed.

Trying to make this trip during the rainy months may not be a good idea, but as it stands now, the rains in the area have subsided so the trip may indeed be possible.

If you decide to and do go, please report back and give us a few pointers on what you experienced.

Buen viaje!

Edited: 3:31 pm, November 14, 2013
nyc
reviews: 17
4. Re: Samara to Santa Teresa Coastal Route November 25th Tips?

I've done both routes, we did the coastal on dry season march and it was still tricky getting over rio bongo, would not reccomend it at all during rainy season, we had to take the longer way during rainy season to samara.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: Samara to Santa Teresa Coastal Route November 25th Tips?

Nice ride...but if Bongo river is high...do not take any chances...remember a wet rent acar ...they take it as a total loss...that means you will own a wet car in Costa Rica...insurance will not pay a penny!

roadadvisor

Reply to: Samara to Santa Teresa Coastal Route November 25th Tips?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted