We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mangroves in Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bronx, New York
reviews: 1
Mangroves in Montezuma

Hello! I am planning a trip to Costa Rica in January and one of the things high on the list was a mangrove tour. Mainly bcs my guy loves mangroves and for some reason I'm having a hard time getting him excited about a freaking trip to Costa Rica. :P

The current plan (per our tour-plan-helper) is Arenal -- Monteverde -- Montezuma. The plan was to snorkel and frolic in Tortuga, and I'm super psyched about our beachfront hotel. However, tour lady said there aren't good mangroves in Montezuma. Manuel Antonio looks out of range (we're just doing a week or so). She recommended Samara, but for some reason I'm not feeling it when I look online. I think I was really looking forward to Montezuma.

SO, I turn to people more experienced than I: Can I tour a mangrove forest ANYWHERE in Montezuma? I found a google article mentioning Playa Organos, but can't find any more info.

Thank you so much!

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
1. Re: Mangroves in Montezuma

Never heard of them so I looked them up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangrove

It doesn't really seem to be a Costa Rica thing. Check out the map.

If you do find them in Montezuma, please post where and I'll look for them next trip always looking for new things....

Gary

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 54
2. Re: Mangroves in Montezuma

If only for a week r so, and already having Arenal amd Monteverde on list, then Manuel Antonio would be much better option then Montezuma for beach part. And there are mangroves there!

Bronx, New York
3. Re: Mangroves in Montezuma

@Gary: well there are definitely mangroves in CR. Manuel Antonio is (apparently) the best place for them.

I was really looking forward to Montezuma/Tortuga. We were going to stay at Ylang Ylang. If I can find a similar hotel to that in Manuel Antonio, maybe I'll see if we can switch.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
4. Re: Mangroves in Montezuma

I wasn't trying to say that there are ANY there (I generally try to stay away from never/any/always, especially on a TrueFalse test) just that they strangely aren't considered super common considering there are lots above and below (on the map). Plus, I (originally) had in my message that I've never noticed any around Montezuma (15+ visits there) but I'm not really attuned to plants, so when I deleted that confession, I can see that it sounded more like I was saying there weren't ANY in Costa Rica (not my intent since I don't actually know what they are!).

That said, Montezuma is a great place. I've been there 15 times, stayed 3-4 weeks multiple times and it's my favorite place in the county.

Samara is a great little town, but it's much larger than Montezuma and Quepos (near MA) is even larger. At least the parts of these towns that I've seen.

Gary

Bronx, New York
5. Re: Mangroves in Montezuma

That's some great info! (and I like that you have mucho Montezuma experience!) Thanks!

At this point, I think Samara is off the list. I was starting to get overwhelmed with choices! So I'm either at Montezuma or Manuel Antonio.

Have you been to MA? How does it compare to Montezuma? I think the snorkeling is supposed to be better in Montezuma, but MA is better for mangroves and animals. Plus there is still snorkeling there, it just might not be as good.

We're looking at Ylang Ylang in Montezuma or Tulemar in MA.

(And I realize you didn't mean there were absolutely none in CR. You're right that they're not as much a CR thing as they are further south. Sorry if my reply was abrupt! I'm at that stressful vacation stage where I just want to book everything and be done with it!)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
6. Re: Mangroves in Montezuma

You should look at Dominical/Uvita for beautiful beaches wildlife and yes! multiple mangroves to the north and south. I think Dominical is a better substitute for Montezuma than Manuel Antonio as it's much more low key and only 45-60 minutes south of MA. Take a look at TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge. You'll need a 4WD to explore this area. If you are willing to pay drop fees for your rental car you could fly back to SJO from Quepos or Palmar Sur.

You could also consider rearranging trip order and do Monteverde 1st, then jeep-boat-jeep across the lake to Arenal. Then fly Arenal to Quepos, pick up a rental car and drive 45 minutes to Dominical.

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
7. Re: Mangroves in Montezuma

It's a bit out of the way - but - once you leave Monteverde, you can head for La Ensenada Lodge. They have a great mangrove tour. www.laensenada.net

There's also a mangrove tour from the Island of Chira - keytocostarica.com/community/ecolodges/la-am… has good information about that.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 75
8. Re: Mangroves in Montezuma

Try Curu wildlife refuge near Montezuma for mangroves--they won't be as extensive as those near Nosara/Samara or Manuel Antonio, but it's easily doable as a day trip from Ylang Ylang (which is a heavenly place, wish I had known about it when planning our honeymoon) and will provide good wildlife sightings.

http://nicoyapeninsula.com/curu/

http://curuwildliferefuge.com/

Another option for mangroves plus beach/wildlife--Puerto Jimenez on the Osa peninsula. You can go kayaking in the mangroves there, hike the mangroves, and stay at a fabulous place like the Iguana Lodge (which is very comparable to Ylang Ylang in my opinion).

Edited: 2:30 pm, May 29, 2013
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
9. Re: Mangroves in Montezuma

samara is a daytrip from montezuma if you have a rental car, beautiful moangroves at the south end of playa carillo and just outside of samara to the north. hopefully your dude isn't thinking of snorkeling or swimming in the mangroves, because these areas are prime habitat for crocodiles! on land they are sissies and will try their best to avoid you, but all bets are off when you are in the water.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
10. Re: Mangroves in Montezuma

btw, montezuma is a great town, one of my favourite places in cr, lots to do and probably the most affordable town in cr.