We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plan as you go or prebook as much as possible for CR?

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
Plan as you go or prebook as much as possible for CR?

For travel in mid July to Aug 21 going to central Pacific coast areas (Manuel Antonio then north from there), then into Central Highlands, then over to Northern Caribbean side like Tortorguero area....will it be difficult to find budget accomodation with a few days in advance of booking? I want to keep our 5 week trip as flexible as we can. Also, how far in advance do you have to book busses etc. in general? Suggestions?

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
11. Re: Plan as you go or prebook as much as possible for CR?

I book my shuttle immediately after booking my flight (if it's a holiday, I might check the shuttle before clicking buy for the flight). because if I don't have the shuttle, it's an extra day not at my destination.

I'm usually on a pretty full shuttle to/from Montezuma/SJ, I've had a few times with only 6 people but generally 10-12 (holidays they are full). I've used a few companies, but lately I've been sticking with Montezuma Expeditions unless they are full. I think I've been less full for Jaco, but I've only done that run a few times (now I skip Jaco and spend most of my trips in Montezuma).

Generally, I'd book my return shuttle more than a few days before leaving, because if it's full, I have to leave a day early (gotta catch the plane!). But lately from Montezuma, I've been taking the Directo public bus to leave which is cheaper and slightly easier (leave luggage on while on ferry ride).

Gary

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 81
12. Re: Plan as you go or prebook as much as possible for CR?

Just looked at Montezuma Expeditions shuttle pack. That looks like a great deal.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
13. Re: Plan as you go or prebook as much as possible for CR?

The Montezuma Expeditions shuttle pack is a great deal. The hotels they offer vary (only in Alajeula area which is near the SJO airport), but I'm usually not much there more than for sleeping (sometimes it's me arriving at 9 pm or 11 pm and on the 6am shuttle). It's usually a few bucks more for air conditioning, this is more important when arriving late, your tired and you don't have time to cool the place down.

Once Montezuma Expeditions put me in Casa Tago (the other few places they normally use must have been full) and now I insist on it (usually for a few dollars more), it's a great little place with super nice staff just a few blocks the the park in the center of town (be sure to check out the beautiful ceilings in the church!).

14. Re: Plan as you go or prebook as much as possible for CR?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 23, 2014