We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amphibious closed toe sandals or waterproof hiking boot/shoe

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 5
Amphibious closed toe sandals or waterproof hiking boot/shoe

My family and I will be in Montezuma for a week in late June. We will be traveling with two children and doing moderate hiking. I'm hoping to hire a local guide and do some hiking off the beaten path. Are amphibious closed toe sandals (like Keens) sufficient or would it be advisable to also bring waterproof hiking boots/shoes? I know that this is the rainy season and there will probably be a lot of mud. I'm not sure of the bug and or snake situation and undergrowth. We will also be two days in Tarcoles and hope to visit Carara park. Thanks

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 6
1. Re: Amphibious closed toe sandals or waterproof hiking boot/shoe

Montezuma is a cute little beachtown! I hiked to the close by waterfalls when I was there and I was wearing regular tennis shoes while my friend was in keens....I wish I'd had keens since my tennis shoes got super dirty and were uncomfortable, my friend just pranced along. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
2. Re: Amphibious closed toe sandals or waterproof hiking boot/shoe

I see lots of people with Keens. Hiking up the river to the waterfalls and along the beach.

I'm a Vibram FIve Fingers shoe guy myself, I say someone wearing a pair at the waterfalls one trip and bought a pair as soon as I got home. Now I've got a 1/2 dozen pair of different kinds. I wear the think kind for long hiking but I wear the thin sole ones when walking to the waterfalls and I swim in them at the falls and the beach. I see more and more people wearing these in Montezuma, but nothing compared to the Keens.

Gary

Edited: 11:21 am, April 08, 2013
San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Amphibious closed toe sandals or waterproof hiking boot/shoe

I love my Keens and use them for a lot of purposes (rafting, canyoning, beaches, mild hikes).

In the rainforest I tend to prefer light weight ankle high hiking shoes (not necessarily waterproof, they usually dry overnight, if not I use them wet the next day).

4. Re: Amphibious closed toe sandals or waterproof hiking boot/shoe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 10, 2014