We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Transportation

I am traveling solo to CR in a few days and while a lot of things are starting to make sense, trying to get in/out of Montezuma seems very difficult without spending a lot of money. My main concern is getting from Montezuma to Liberia airport on April 14 and my flight leaves at 1:20pm. If it involves leaving Montezuma one day earlier I may just have to do that, but I would like to keep it headache free. Please offer any ideas you have, thanks.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 52
1. Re: Transportation

Montezuma to Liberia is at least 5 hours with a local private driver, so your best headache free option is to stay the night before near Liberia.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2. Re: Transportation

xelas,

Any ideas on the specific transportation method from Montezuma to another town, then from that town to Airport?

Edited: 2:49 pm, April 01, 2013
Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
3. Re: Transportation

Headache free: Go the day before!

I'd use a service like Montezuma Expeditions (pricing and times on their site, their name dot com) and take them to Tamarindo the day before, it'd be about $50. It's been a few years since I've been there, but there were a few places in town that ran shuttle services to the airport (probably still 60-90 minutes away). I'd actually go in the morning spend some time there (it's VERY different than Montezuma) and make sure I could find a service (after the services close, you're stuck until morning to find out if any are full).

I use ME all the time.

I've only done Liberia once (4 years ago) and couldn't find anything other than a rental or a cab to get from airport to Tamarindo (at the airport), but once I was in Tamarindo, I did see some businesses with shuttle options. I'm sure I could have booked in advance and they'd have been there, but I didn't find any (at the time) on-line. I wanted a car for the middle part of that trip, so I just ended up renting the car earlier than planned.

ME might even have an option to Liberia that I don't know about and you could just stay in town and cab it in the morning to the airport. They might even be able to refer you to a business that does that.

No matter what options for transport you consider, I'd go the day before.

Gary

Dearborn, Michigan
4. Re: Transportation

Actually, I just checked and they do have an option to Liberia. Only $5 more. You have to download the PDF schedule from the rates page. IF that's the same shuttle as Tamarindo, you're probably okay. But all their shuttles need 4 passengers, if that's direct to airport and they don't have others on it, it might not be an option. If it's the same shuttle, they might charge you more than $5 to take only you. Not sure.

Logically, it seems like you should be able to book from Liberia to Montezuma, but they actually don't have that listed. Ask anyways.

I've stayed in Liberia at elpuntohotel.com and been very happy. Not too far from airport. It's just off the main road but the local town is just a few minute walk.

Gary

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: Transportation

The day before you can take a public bus to Liberia...nice long ride...and is cheap

roadadvisor

Dearborn, Michigan
6. Re: Transportation

Roadadvisor, how many times do you need to switch buses from Montezuma to get to Liberia?

Does it go up the peninsula (or go across the ferry)?

Thanks,

Gary

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
7. Re: Transportation

You can get the bus from Montezuma to Playa Naranjo and from there to Nicoya and then to Liberia. No bus goes up the west coast from Montezuma. www.thebusschedule.com/cr/

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
8. Re: Transportation

Thank you for all your input! I received response from ME and they could provide me a shuttle to go from Montezuma to Tamarindo ($50) or Liberia ($55) the day before. It probably will cost me less/offer more certainty go to Libera directly and stay there, but it doesn't seem like Liberia is very interesting. Any thoughts on whether I should spend the night at Tamarindo vs Liberia before I head home?

Dearborn, Michigan
9. Re: Transportation

Liberia is a real Costa Rica town. Lots of little shops. Very cultural IMHO. But you have to go downtown, not to the American/ touristy shops by the busy strip (stay area from the area with subway and McDonald's) If you didn't see any other towns like Nicoya or some of the smaller towns around San Jose, it's worth checking out.

On the other hand Tamarindo is a super touristy beach town with lots of bars. Pricey touristy place, more drugs than Montezuma IMHO. Lots of party bars.

Depends what you want. Depends why you are there.

Gary.

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
10. Re: Transportation

Rather than stay in Tamarindo or Liberia for your last night, I recommend staying in either Playas del Coco or Playa Hermosa. While less developed than Tamarindo, Playas del Coco is a bit lively while Playa Hermosa is pretty quiet. Either of these is 20-30 minutes from the airport.

Staying in/near the center of Liberia is good if you are interested in a cultural immersion. A few blocks from the center of town, I have stayed at Hotel La Siesta which is simple but comfortable and has a pool. You can walk to the center of town from there. Another possibility is Hotel Los Angeles which is also close to the center of town and very Costa Rican. Newish and very comfortable.