We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Montezuma-should I arrange travel from SJO or La Fortuna

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
To Montezuma-should I arrange travel from SJO or La Fortuna

We are planning to visit the Arenal area, and Montezuma and flying in and out of SJO. Where should I stay first given the transportation back and forth to Montezuma? We will not have a car, I wasn't sure transfers if one was easier, or more reliable?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: To Montezuma-should I arrange travel from SJO or La Fortuna

You can do a loop tour SJO/Monteverde/Arenal/SJO or the reverse. shared shuttle services are easily arranged either way, although your arrival time may require you to overnight near the airport as the shared shuttles have fixed departure times. The deciding factors may be that travel time to Monteverde is slightly longer (3.5-4 hours versus 3 hours to Arenal) and rougher roads to Monteverde might be uncomfortable after a long flight. However the view from Monteverde traveling toward Arenal volcano is pretty spectacular so from a view standpoint I would head to Monteverde first.

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: To Montezuma-should I arrange travel from SJO or La Fortuna

Thank you for your information. We are actually debating whether to try and fit in Monteverde, but definitely staying in La Fortuna area for 3 nights, and then in Montezuma on the beach for 3 or so nights. Do you think all three of these would be too much in a week considering travel time?

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
3. Re: To Montezuma-should I arrange travel from SJO or La Fortuna

All three in a week is really pushing it (all three in 9 days could even be pushing it, IMHO). Travel time is REALLY slow sometimes.

I just noticed you're traveling in August. That's going to slow you down a bit more, there will be rain and somewhere along the line there's a decent chance it's going to affect your transport. The time I was there in late August there was more rain than any other trip, (I've been to CR 40+ other weeks).

Gary

Edited: 4:32 pm, March 03, 2013
Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
4. Re: To Montezuma-should I arrange travel from SJO or La Fortuna

I actually clicked on this for the transport question but then answered your followup....

I use Montezuma Expeditions for shuttle service when I need to, they go to all the towns you mention. On the rates page they have a PDF of the times the shuttles actually travel, so you can match it up with your flights to figure out what might me best to start /end the trip. (Although in the off season it's mostly mornings, I think).

You can make arrangements in advance, Montezuma Expeditions usually speaks really good English (just go slow!). They'll want you to fax or e-mail confirmation information (most companies will) with charge card info (most will in my experience).

Although if I was leaving Montezuma and heading to the airport area I'd take the Directo bus from Montezuma; it's twice a day (6am-ish and 2pm-ish) around $14 a person and it's always been air conditioned when I've taken it, except for the first leg from Montezuma to Cobano (10 miles) for me it's always been a bus I have to switch in Cobano.

Gary

Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: To Montezuma-should I arrange travel from SJO or La Fortuna

Thanks for the info Gary, I really appreciate. We are going to try and hit early to mid August. I know its the rainy season, most have told us to expect nice mornings, and afternoon showers unless we get really unlucky and there is a storm system. It seemed like Montezuma actually had lower rainfall averages in Aug. so I thought it could be a good pic, besides just seeming like paradise all around! I have never heard of the Directo Bus, I will check that out

6. Re: To Montezuma-should I arrange travel from SJO or La Fortuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 05, 2014