We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma during christmas

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oslo, Norway
reviews: 5
Montezuma during christmas

We are travelling with two kids 8 and 13 during christmas. What would be the best option, Montezuma area or around Samara? Would be nice with some festivities, but not too much partying.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
1. Re: Montezuma during christmas

I've been to Montezuma during Christmas once. Most things are business as usual, a few restaurants will do a special Christmas dinner (these fill up), I can't remember about Christmas Eve.

Everything else seemed to be open, boat tours, zip lines, the national park Cabo Blanco (I was specifically told that Cabo Blanco was open even on the holidays, only closed Mondays and Tuesdays) and running as normal. A few restaurants may have closed but I think most were open.

Maybe a few fireworks on Christmas, but nothing big and a few more fires on the beach than usual (lots of families with fires).

There is a small turtle hatchery(?) place 5-10 minutes up the beach, the kids might love that.

FYI, The coast is very busy (Christmas and Easter) with Costa Ricans (many of the Costa Ricans get 10-14 days off) visiting the coasts, so be prepared for traffic, especially at the ferry(!). Overall, I think it was not busy December 24th-26th as I assume people went back to visit families. If you're using a bus or shuttle service any ferry backups won't be much of an issue since you'll walk on (and they always have room for the public bus). But the holidays (Christmas/New Years) are on Wednesday, so I'm not sure when the busy times will be.

I love Montezuma, I like the waterfalls, ocean and the surrounding area. The few times I've been to Samara, I've never been sure where to go and what to do around there (other than the ocean). Montezuma has the cute little park in the middle of town renovated a few years ago with a few tables and benches.

Gary

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
2. Re: Montezuma during christmas

Here's a few links of mine specifically about Montezuma (photos, stories, videos, interactive 360/720 panoramas).

The waterfalls are beautiful (see my photos, videos and 3d inter actives), I go everyday that I'm in town (unless I'm going somewhere else!). I love this area so much, I even created a photo site, just for that area of Costa Rica http://MontezumaPacific.com/

I blogged about lots of my trips at my blog http://GarySaid.com/tags/montezuma/ you can search there for "Costa Rica" too. The stories are probably more detailed in the past, since I've been there SO many times, I tend to not write as much now...

A few dozen of my videos at YouTube of Montezuma www.youtube.com/user/garylapointe/videos…

And some cool 720(?) degree 3D-ish PhotoSynths at photosynth.net/userprofilepage.aspx…

but I don't know how to restrict to just Montezuma (but I'd guess half are from Costa Rica) so you might have to flip pages because I've got some AWESOME ones of the waterfalls (including from the edge of the top of the 90 foot one looking down and up the 40 foot upper falls!).

Cabo Blanco (this is one of the most preserved parks in the country) is closed Monday and Tuesday (and I've been told is open on holidays), there is a bus from town at 8am or 8:20-ish and it drops you off at the bottom of the driveway, not at the entrance (maybe a kilometer away?), if you don't have a car (if you have a car, be there at 7:59 so that you can get in before the noisy tourists show up). It's beautiful there but VERY hilly. No climbing with your hands but it's VERY steep up and down (they've put in cement blocks). You only have two choices there. a 75-90 minutes loop or and 2 hour walk to the beach (and 2 hours back). FYI, Even the short loop at Cabo Blanco is much harder than climbing to the upper falls in Montezuma.

Don't assume anywhere has air conditioning, TV, WiFi or hot water (usually, just the shower). This goes for anywhere in Costa Rica that isn't an international chain.

Roads are bad in that area, if you rent you'll want a 4x4. The rental place will probably make you get one. I rarely rent a car these days, I take shuttle busses that pick me up near the San Jose airport and drop me off at my hotel in Montezuma (and vice versa). I usually use "Montezuma Expeditions" and they have good hotel packages if you're arriving later in the day and need to stay the night (they only do the hotel at the SJO airport end) and they aren't fancy, although I really like Casa Tago in Alajuela sometimes the offer that hotel, if they don't sometimes it's $5-$10 to upgrade.

Once I'm in Montezuma, usually the only thing I want a car for is to go over to watch the sunset on the other side (the easiest way is via Cobano, but I've read there is a shortcut through Delicias that I haven't done yet, so ask if adventurous). Otherwise, I don't really need it. So if you do get an ATV rental for a day, be sure to catch sunset in St. Teresa. I've driven all around the south end of the peninsula in the ATV (Montezuma to Cabo Blanco to Santa Teresa to Manzinillo to Paquera and to Cobano for gas and back to Montezuma).

If you have a car, I'll mention there is a watched (guarded might be exaggerating) parking lot at the bottom of the river where you walk up to the waterfall. I think the guy in the hammock charges $2 for you to park there and he keeps an eye on the vehicles (and you're parked in the shade mostly). If it's hot it's nice to not walk the dusty road to get to the waterfall. If I've got a car, this is worth the $2 to me, if I'm paying for the car, it's worth the convenience :)

3. Re: Montezuma during christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 03, 2014