We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent scooter/ small motorbike

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 14
Rent scooter/ small motorbike

Hello there

I would like to know if it was possible to rent a cheap motorbike or a scooter around Montezuma? I know about ATV and that there are as expensive as a car...

Thanks for your answer

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
1. Re: Rent scooter/ small motorbike

There is one (or two) places around Montezuma (one by the bus stop/football field) with scooters, like moped/Spree.

It's $40-ish the last few times I've seen them, BUT the roads are so bad around there (as soon as you leave town), you could get lost into a big pot hole. Many of the locals drive them (heck, I've seen the locals driving scooters and texting at night while driving).

My last few visits to Montezuma I've been tempted to try a scooter for the day. But the few days I'd tried they were already booked (you needed to reserve them a day or two in advance, it seems).

FYI, on the ATVs, around Montezuma they seem pricier than when I talk to people who have rented them over from Santa Teresa (when I talk to them, their day prices are closer to the Montezuma half-day prices). But getting to somewhere else to pick it up never seems convenient, I guess if you wanted it for the week it'd be worth it, but I don't know what you'd use it for during a whole week.

Gary

Edited: 5:50 pm, January 27, 2013
New York City, New...
2. Re: Rent scooter/ small motorbike

If I have well there aren't scooters with off road tires like in Asia? It's really cheap and convenient. Since i will be staying one full month and that i will have to rent an ATV or a small SUV it will be around 300 dollars per week. For 1200 i can by a second hand motocross and then resale it when i will leave.

I don't know if it sound as a good idea but I'm trying to minimise my expenses since I will use it barely 2 or 3 times a week just to go to the market.

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Rent scooter/ small motorbike

My recommendation for you is to wait until you arrive to Montezuma. Walk and shop around, see how the streets really are and if you really want to rent a motorbike, and ATV or a small 4x4 or just use the public buses. If you are staying for along period of time you may be to get on the public buses pretty good.

Also, Montezuma is very very small.

Dearborn, Michigan
4. Re: Rent scooter/ small motorbike

I've stayed in Montezuma for a month before and not needed a vehicle. It'd have been nice but not necessary.

I've never noticed any down there with different tires.

For much less could take a cab BACK from the market and be way ahead of the game. (But you haven't told us where you're staying).

If they have license plates, buying a second-hand motocross might not be as easy as you think down there. (I can't recall)

Gary

Montezuma, Costa...
5. Re: Rent scooter/ small motorbike

You cannot buy like that is not as easy as you may think. Motorbike and ATV require all the formal paperwork as buying a regular vehicle in Costa Rica. You will also need to have a valid driver license for motorbikes.

New York City, New...
6. Re: Rent scooter/ small motorbike

It seems to be too much hassle... I'm going to buy a montain bike in a supermarket in Cobano or a second hand one should be ok.

Do you have any tips to find one? Is there a bike shop in Cobano or around?

Thanks again

Montezuma, Costa...
7. Re: Rent scooter/ small motorbike

There is a bike shop right next to MegaSuper by the Pharmacy in Cobano. You can buy it there.

Also Kevin Carmona by Hotel El Parque by the football field, he have some bikes for rent and sale, he also have scooters. Tell him Humberto send you, he will take care of you.

New York City, New...
8. Re: Rent scooter/ small motorbike

Hello again,

First, thanks to Umberto and Gary for your answers! Secondly, I would like to know about the market rate for long term rental ATV, I'm aware that this market isn't really transparent and it's all about bargaining...

But I have called my hotel (one more intermediary) and they told me it was $60 per day.. So I guess if it's the same logic than for houses rental, the decrease rate is as follows: 3 days= 1 week and 2 weeks= 1 month which mean that the market rate will be $360 for one month. Does it sound fare enough?!

Cheers

Dearborn, Michigan
9. Re: Rent scooter/ small motorbike

But I don't think hotels are the same logic as houses (nor are ATVs). Houses are intended to rent longer (I think they'd rather rent for weeks/month), they just offer shorter periods for when they can't rent it longer to fill in the gaps (my thoughts).

And Costa Rica doesn't really haggle like some other countries. A little, but not a lot (in my experience). I'm good at it in other places. I've gotten occasional results doing it in Costa Rica for crafts, but not as good as I'd expect.

Depending on the time of year, they might rent the ATV everyday anyways, so renting it cheaper isn't a great incentive. Regardless, I think trying for the ATV will be easier if you are there.

These are all thoughts not facts,

Gary

10. Re: Rent scooter/ small motorbike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 30, 2014