We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma with 7 and 10 year old

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stratham, New...
Montezuma with 7 and 10 year old

Thinking about bringing the family to Montezuma. Sounds like a great place, but want some reassurance that this is a good place to bring kids. It will be the tail end of the trip so we are looking for a relaxing place that also has a fun, unique, and Costa Rican vibe. Please help.

Thank you!!!

Camas, Washington
1. Re: Montezuma with 7 and 10 year old

We have been to Montezuma twice as a couple but for our upcoming trip with our 7 year old son we chose to stay in Santa Teresa instead. The beaches in Montezuma are mostly rocky and not good for swimming and that was primarily why we decided not to base our trip there. We plan on taking a day trip from Santa Teresa into Montezuma because it is a fun little town with some great restaurants, hikes and sights but want to be able to walk out our door and swim or surf every day. Hope that helps, have a great time!

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 8
2. Re: Montezuma with 7 and 10 year old

I think DJones has a good idea...we stayed in Cabuya over Christmas and went into Montezuma one day...lots of loudish bars and action going on that night...it's not super relaxing although is a cool place to sit and watch the world go by, have a bite to eat and enjoy the scene! Not sure exactly what you're looking for accomodation wise but we stayed in Casa Cabuya with our kids (they're teens) - it has a private pool and is between both Montezuma and Sta. Teresa area - 5 mins to Montezuma and maybe 10 to Sta. Teresa. It is not on the beach (Cabuya is mostly a rocky beach) and right next door to Cayote Cafe. We loved it - I have a review done. Otherwise, there are about a million places to choose from in Sta. Teresa. I wouldn't classify either Montezuma or Sta. Teresa as a unique CR town but certainly has a fun vibe ...mainly full of hotels, restaurants, tourist shops and tourist bookings.

Stratham, New...
3. Re: Montezuma with 7 and 10 year old

Thank you so much! Planning this trip is overwhelming as the country is big with lots to do. Are Santa Teresa beaches calm and white sand? Is your hotel on the beach?

Stratham, New...
4. Re: Montezuma with 7 and 10 year old

Thanks for your input. We haven't located a spot on the pacific side yet to do our relaxing part of the vacation. This helps!

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
5. Re: Montezuma with 7 and 10 year old

I think Montezuma is a unique town. While it is very very small, there is a centralized downtown (although it's just barely a few city blocks big). They have got places along the road to/from town and it's not as dusty as nearby coastal towns. They've got an ATM machine, a small grocery store and a tiny grocery store, lots of restaurants and a few bars. It's accessible by taxi boat, shuttles, decent bus service (IMHO). Lots of little hotels, I'd guess most have 10-20 rooms (a few with more and a few with less).

It reminds me of little towns up north in Michigan, a few city blocks with a few restaurants, shops and a school (except with hotels a few few tour guide offices) but not much other businesses for 5+ miles in any direction.

The beaches are a bit rocky, but I always wear some kind of beach shoes (or Vibram Five Fingers). And the waves are a bit rough sometimes.

It really depends on the kids. I've seen kids who go nuts when the get to the waterfalls. They just jump in and climb up the rocks (10-14 feet) and start jumping in and could hang out all day.

Gary

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
6. Re: Montezuma with 7 and 10 year old

The kids would love the Montezuma waterfalls for a daytrip but beware of rip currents along most of the beaches either side of Montezuma.

Don't know where you go the idea Santa Teresa beaches are calm. Santa Teresa is a surfing destination with long beautiful beaches and some big waves, If you want a calm beach for the kids suggest you change the fouce to Samara/Playa Carrillo. See more at http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com/teresa/ and http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com/samara/

Oslo, Norway
reviews: 5
7. Re: Montezuma with 7 and 10 year old

We are a family with two boys 8 & 13 planning our trip to CR next christmas. I am quite confused by people telling me that beaches in Montezuma are rocky, as I have seen lots of pictures of beaches around M. that are really beautiful, sandy beaches. This website shows that: nicoyapeninsula.com/montezuma/montezuma2.php

Can anyone clearyfy this?

Has enyone been to Montezuma during Christmas/NewYear? Is there lots of party and noise around the area, we would prefer to sleep at night. Any suggiestions on nice and quiet hotels in the area not too expensive.

Thank You

San Francisco...
reviews: 5
8. Re: Montezuma with 7 and 10 year old

Costa Rica also awards a Blue Flag rating to beaches with high water quality. You might want to consider that when planning your trip too. I know it was important to me when we travelled there with our boys. Do a Google search for Blue Flag Costa Rica and you will find the relevant information, including a map that the ecological group generates that includes all the beaches that have been awarded a Blue Flag.

9. Re: Montezuma with 7 and 10 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 27, 2014