We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday, January 6 Caldera Highway only has one-way traffic

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
587 posts
9 reviews
Sunday, January 6 Caldera Highway only has one-way traffic

The westbound side of the Caldera Highway (route 27) will be designated east bound for all the returning vacationers (from the Pacific coast towards San Jose) on Sunday. .

Please READ the info at the BOTTOM for specifics from the Tico Times.

ticotimes.net//Current-Edition/News-Briefs/C…

While this will make your trip go faster, keep in mind if you need to take a ferry heading from the Nicoya Peninsula back towards San Jose, those ferrys are LIKELY to be experiencing super long lines heading back to San Jose. If not on a specific schedule, I'd wait until Monday to head back in that direction. (The ferrys will probably have long lines on Saturday too).

If you are on a public bus, I've always seen them make room for them. IF you are on private shuttles many (not all) companies drop you off at the ferry and you catch a different shuttle on the other side than this also probably won't be a problem for you (I've never seen them turn away walking on passengers), ask your shuttle company.

Gary

From Tico Times:

On Sunday, January 6, all traffic on Route 27 will go toward the capital to help those vacationing outside of San José make a quicker return from the Pacific region.

The change will force drivers traveling from San José to Caldera to use alternate routes.

The reversible lanes will be used on the stretch of the Caldera Highway (Route 27) connecting Pozón de Orotina (Alajuela) to Ciudad Colón (San Jose) from noon to 8:00 p.m.

Drivers heading to the Pacific during these hours should use Route 3 (Atenas-Aguacate-Orotina) or Route 239 (Puriscal-Turrubares-Orotina).

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
44,965 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Sunday, January 6 Caldera Highway only has one-way traffic

Thank you ...nice advice and the close is between noon until 7 pm...not the whole day!

roadadvisor

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
587 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Sunday, January 6 Caldera Highway only has one-way traffic

I did cut and paste the times. I guess I could have put it up higher, but I did mention to look at the bottom for specifics.

The part I pasted said from Noon until 8:00 PM.

Gary

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Sunday, January 6 Caldera Highway only has one-way traffic

Great! thanks for the info!!

4. Re: Sunday, January 6 Caldera Highway only has one-way traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, January 07, 2014