We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sj
reviews: 1
Week in Montezuma

Suggestions for family with teenagers over New Years in Montezuma

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
1. Re: Week in Montezuma

Montezuma is my favorite place on this planet. Super friendly people and a beautiful town on the ocean.

I've spent a month there with plans to do some short trips to other places and never bothered to leave. Just kept going to the different waterfalls and enjoying the place. These days I only stay here at Montezuma Pacific Hotel tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g309278-d148659…

I take shuttle busses that pick me up near the San Jose airport and drop me off at my hotel in Montezuma (and vice versa). I usually use "Montezuma Expeditions" (google it) and they have good hotel packages if you're arriving later in the day (they only do the hotel at the airport end) and they aren't fancy, although I really like Casa Tago in Alajuela sometimes the offer that hotel, if they don't sometimes it's $5-$10 to upgrade.

Once I'm in Montezuma, usually the only thing I want a car for is to go over to watch the sunset on the other side (the easiest way is via Cobano, but I've read there is a shortcut through Delicias that I haven't done yet, so ask if adventurous). Otherwise, I don't really use it. So if you do get an ATV rental for a day, be sure to catch sunset in St. Teresa. I've driven all around the south end of the peninsula in the ATV (Montezuma to Cabo Blanco to Santa Teresa to Manzinillo to Paquera and to Cobano for gas and back to Montezuma).

Montezuma Expeditions can get you to other places than Montezuma too.

I blogged about lots of my trips at my blog http://GarySaid.com/tags/montezuma/ you can search there for "Costa Rica" too. The stories are probably more detailed in the past, since I've been there SO many times, I tend to not write as much now...

A few dozen of my videos at YouTube of Montezuma www.youtube.com/user/garylapointe/videos…

And some cool 720(?) degree 3D-ish PhotoSynths at photosynth.net/userprofilepage.aspx…

but I don't know how to restrict to just Montezuma (but I'd guess half are from Costa Rica) so you might have to flip pages because I've got some AWESOME ones of the waterfalls (including from the edge of the top of the 90 foot one looking down and up the 40 foot upper falls!).

Let's see: Cabo Blanco is near Montezuma (this is one of the most preserved parks in the country) is closed Monday and Tuesday, there is a bus from town at 8am or 8:20-ish and it drops you off at the bottom of the driveway, not at the entrance (maybe a kilometer away?), if you don't have a car (if you have a car, be there at 7:59 so that you can get in before the noisy tourists show up). It's beautiful there but VERY hilly. No climbing with your hands but it's VERY steep up and down (they've put in cement blocks). You only have two choices there. a 75-90 minutes loop or and 2 hour walk to the beach (and 2 hours back). FYI, Even the short loop at Cabo Blanco is much harder than climbing to the upper falls in Montezuma.

Don't assume anywhere has air conditioning, TV, WiFi or hot water (usually, just the shower). This goes for anywhere in Costa Rica that isn't an international chain.

Gary

Hasselt, Belgium
reviews: 25
2. Re: Week in Montezuma

We stayed in Montezuma for just two days in October and absolutely loved it. The climb to the waterfalls was great (one of the best days we had in CR), the smoothies were tasty, the beaches were lovely and the people were.. well okay.

Maybe we did go out to eat in the wrong place, I don't know.. but it did feel like a tourist trap. A couple of 'ladies' playing cards all day long, which almost couldn't be bothered getting up to take our order, shrimp that were not deveined properly, or actually not at all.. (and I really do not like seeing a poo tube in my food.. yuk!) and just overall carelessness.

The second place was better, but still not totally welcoming. Strange.

There was AC in our room, and free WiFi at the hotel and in some bars and restaurants as well.. so it's not all that remote :)

Some things were closed for the low season though, and after two days, we were kinda done with the place.. it is really small if you stay in Montezuma town center (2 streets max :)).

Have fun.. I'm sure celebrating NYE there will be awesome!

A

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
3. Re: Week in Montezuma

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how small the town is. Saying the downtown is 2 city blocks might even be exaggerating the size (the park and the church take up a lot of that area). But that's the proper downtown area, there are more than a few places (restaurants, shops, hotels) on the way along the road leading to town (a few blocks in each direction off the main road and then things get pretty spaced out).

They do a farmers market (fruit, vegetables and some souvenirs) in the park most Saturday mornings.

Gary

Minnesota
reviews: 22
4. Re: Week in Montezuma

I'll be there over New Year's too! I've stayed in near by Mal Pais twice and visited Montezuma both times. I've enjoyed the hike to the waterfull in town, and swimming under the waterfall. The horseback ride along the beach to the other falls is really fun. There is also a zip line in town. I haven't done that one (I did the one in Mal Pais) and that was fun, I've heard the one in Montezuma is good too. I've used Zuma tours to book a snorkel trip to Tortuga Island (I think thats what it was called)... you have time to snorkel then hang out on the beach for a bit. A nice spot. We played volleyball with some locals while we were there, it was really fun. So, lots of excursions/activities that you can do from Montezuma! Have a good time...