We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma for New Years

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sj
reviews: 1
Montezuma for New Years

Looking for ideas for New Tears Eve and also a week in Montezuma 2012'. We are a family with 4 young adult children. Thanks for any help in our planning.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
1. Re: Montezuma for New Years

Montezuma is my favorite place on this planet. I've spent a month there with plans to do some short trips to other places and never bothered to leave. Just kept going to the different waterfalls and enjoying the place. These days I only stay here at tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g309278-d148659…

I take shuttle busses that pick me up near the San Jose airport and drop me off at my hotel in Montezuma (and vice versa). I usually use "Montezuma Expeditions" (google it) and they have good hotel packages if you're arriving later in the day (they only do the hotel at the airport end) and they aren't fancy, although I really like Casa Tago in Alajuela sometimes the offer that hotel, if they don't sometimes it's $5-$10 to upgrade.

Once I'm in Montezuma, usually the only thing I want a car for is to go over to watch the sunset on the other side (the easiest way is via Cobano, but I've read there is a shortcut through Delicias that I haven't done yet, so ask if adventurous). Otherwise, I don't really use it. So if you do get an ATV rental for a day, be sure to catch sunset in St. Teresa. I've driven all around the south end of the peninsula in the ATV (Montezuma to Cabo Blanco to Santa Teresa to Manzinillo to Paquera and to Cobano for gas and back to Montezuma).

Montezuma Expeditions can get you to other places than Montezuma too.

I blogged about lots of my trips at my blog http://GarySaid.com/tags/montezuma/ you can search there for "Costa Rica" too. The stories are probably more detailed in the past, since I've been there SO many times, I tend to not write as much now...

A few dozen of my videos at YouTube of Montezuma www.youtube.com/user/garylapointe/videos…

And some cool 720(?) degree 3D-ish PhotoSynths at photosynth.net/userprofilepage.aspx…

but I don't know how to restrict to just Montezuma (but I'd guess half are from Costa Rica) so you might have to flip pages because I've got some AWESOME ones of the waterfalls (including from the edge of the top of the 90 foot one looking down and up the 40 foot upper falls!).

Let's see: Cabo Blanco is near Montezuma (this is one of the most preserved parks in the country) is closed Monday and Tuesday, there is a bus from town at 8am or 8:20-ish and it drops you off at the bottom of the driveway, not at the entrance (maybe a kilometer away?), if you don't have a car (if you have a car, be there at 7:59 so that you can get in before the noisy tourists show up). It's beautiful there but VERY hilly. No climbing with your hands but it's VERY steep up and down (they've put in cement blocks). You only have two choices there. a 75-90 minutes loop or and 2 hour walk to the beach (and 2 hours back). FYI, Even the short loop at Cabo Blanco is much harder than climbing to the upper falls in Montezuma.

Don't assume anywhere has air conditioning, TV, WiFi or hot water (usually, just the shower). This goes for anywhere in Costa Rica that isn't an international chain.

Gary

2. Re: Montezuma for New Years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 19, 2013