We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose to Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Helena,AL
reviews: 5
San Jose to Montezuma

Hello! I have a question that maybe someone can answer. Our flight gets in at 12:35pm on Saturday. There does not seem to be a puddle jumper flight to Tambor that we could make. I was wondering how long it takes to drive from San Jose to Montezuma? Will we make the Ferry? Should we go all the way around and forgo the ferry? Any useful information will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 83
11. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Another option would be to catch a shuttle to Jaco and then a water taxi across to Montezuma directly and worry about renting a vehicle there. This is a pretty common run and there may even be a quazi schedule for it.

Unless you are an experienced driver on Central American roads, I would not recommend trying to push the margin and make it all the way there in one shot. Yes, the road is good to the ferry and quite passable by local standards from there on. However, "local standards" on the southern Nicoya Peninsula do not include tailights, road shoulders, banked corners, consistent signage and do include sharing the road with livestock and quads and families on scooters. Trying to negotiate these in the dark after the culture shock of entering a new country following a long flight might be more than you want to handle. Trying to avoid the ferry by taking the bridge would be a serious mistake and only compound the above issues. The narrow road south to Tambor has long dirt sections with eteep hills and unmarked corners. That trip is an adventure worth having, but only in daylight. I suspect even locals would agree.

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 3
12. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Yes, the Zuma Taxi Boat between Herradura / Jaco and Montezuma is a great option to travel between these locations. Hundreds of clients are transport every season.

Quebec City, Canada
reviews: 4
13. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Hello,

we are coming next sunday (june 2nd) is there an another ferry time departure after 5 pm? Also, is it dangerous to get to montemuza after the sunset? Our flight from SJO is supposed to arrived rround 11h45 am.

thank you verry much!

Montezuma, Costa...
14. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

8:30 pm is the last ferry from Puntarenas to Paquera. There is not danger on making the drive a night.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
15. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

You're renting a car, correct? I hate to assume these things. But I'm answering "dangerous" as if you are driving.

It'll be really dark on big chucks of the road. Imagine you're driving on curvy country roads part parts, part drirt and bumpy. If that doesn't bother you, it'll be fine. I've done it multiple times.

If I was arriving at that time I'd hope that I'd be there by 5pm. Traffic, weather, customs, luggage and car rental all factor in. But going to Montezuma on a Sunday this time of year shouldn't be any problem with lines t there ferry.

Have fun!

Gary

Roswell, Georgia...
16. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Just curious - what time was your water taxi? Our flight will probably get in around noon, then the drive to ferry, so we're finding it difficult to get a water taxi in the afternoon.

Thanks,

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
17. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

I don't know think I've ever seen an afternoon water taxi when I've looked. They always seemED to be in the morning.

Gary

Helena,AL
reviews: 5
18. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

We used Zuma tours and they picked us up from the airport so they knew we were running late. Plus the other people taking the Taxi were late as well. I don't think the normally run that late in the afternoon, it was around 3ish by the time we left on the water taxi. I know we didn't get in to Agua Vista until dark. I was much appreciative of them for making sure we got there. They also hooked us up with the cab to Agua Vista when we got to the beach in Montezuma, We used them for everything after that because they went above and beyond to help us. I highly recommend you getting in touch with them to see if they can help you out.

This was almost a year ago. Sigh. BEST TRIP EVER! Have fun in Costa Rica (As if you couldn't) Pura Vida!

19. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 12, 2014