We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose to Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Helena,AL
reviews: 3
San Jose to Montezuma

Hello! I have a question that maybe someone can answer. Our flight gets in at 12:35pm on Saturday. There does not seem to be a puddle jumper flight to Tambor that we could make. I was wondering how long it takes to drive from San Jose to Montezuma? Will we make the Ferry? Should we go all the way around and forgo the ferry? Any useful information will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Montezuma, Costa...
1. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Due your arrival time you will be needing to hire a private service to Montezuma or rent a car. (currently no afternoon collective shuttles running due the low season)

Right now the last ferry is at 5pm from Puntarenas. you have to make sure you leave from San Jose Airport area by 2pm. This will give you enough time to get to the ferry 5pm departure.

If you are not able to take the 5pm ferry, you will be needing to make the drive all the way around the Peninsula. This is a 7 to 8 hrs trip.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Good question...from sjo to puntarenas ferry boat to paquera...about 1.5 hours ride..you can catch abus or taxi at paquera side..

Roadadvisor

Helena,AL
3. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Thank you both very much! I should clarify that it is actually Next Saturday. (the 1st) I am looking forward to the adventure, but a little nervous about the roads.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
4. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

i love montezuma! i would recommend renting a car, have it delivered to the ap, drive to the ferry and then on to 'zuma. you don't need a car in zuma, you can walk everywhere, but mal pais/st teresa are a nice drive and about a half hour-1 hour drive away. also are adventurous you can drive to samara for a day or two.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
5. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

The drive to Montezuma isn't too bad. The roads to the ferry are mostly great. I love the ferry ride and you'll probably get sunset so that'll be nice.

After the ferry the roads are mostly solid but there could be holes anywhere so be careful.

The last 7 miles mostly is gravel and potholes and it'll be dark when you're at that part so just go slow and you'll be fine. And then all of a sudden you'll be there, you'll love it.

Gary

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
6. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

I meant to tell you about the ferry:

When you get there they generally have you park in line then you go buy the ticket at the counter. You need a ticket (a register receipt) for the car (which includes the driver) and one for each passenger.

The passengers cannot drive on with you, they must walk onto the ferry (same thing when you leave, they walk off).

I wouldn't expect the ferry to be super busy but since the are running only one ferry I'd get there as early as possible.

Gary

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Do not worry about the roads you are taking that day of your arrival...at least the one from SJO to Puntarenas great conditiosn and at the other side of the Gulf...also in good condition...I will be more worry about your airline arrival time...hopefullly they will land as schedule!

roadadvisor

Helena,AL
8. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

This is all fantastic advice and much appreciated! Thank you thank you!

Philadelphia...
reviews: 2
9. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

I have been in Montezuma for the past few days. The road crews have been been out working on the roads over the past couple weeks, so roads should all be in good shape by the time you get here if you plan to rent a vehicle. That said, I agree that a vehicle isn't necessary if you have a place in or around Montezuma, unless you want to drive to other towns. We got a private driver to the ferry and then public bus after the ferry and that worked fine for us. There are also lots of taxis waiting at the ferry in Paquera if you want to pay for the additional convenience and comfort.

Edited: 3:19 pm, November 29, 2012
Helena,AL
10. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Thanks for all the help! We ended up taking a shuttle to Herradura and then the water Taxi to Montezuma. Booked it with Zuma Tours. Was so glad we did!! Ended up working with them for almost everything we did.