We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma or Santa Tersa

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 32
Montezuma or Santa Tersa

Hi eveyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice?

We have 4 days to spend in the Nicoya area. We are travelling from Dominical.

We can't decide if we should stay in Montezuma or Santa Teresa.

I should add that we are planning to stay 2 nights in Samara out of the four.

Should we just spend our time in Samara or is it worth staying a couple of nights in either Montezuma or Sanat Tersea

Thanks Nick

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Montezuma or Santa Tersa

I really like Santa Tereza and Montezuma...but in your special case I will relax and stay in Samara!

roadadivsor

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
2. Re: Montezuma or Santa Tersa

i'm partial to montezuma, but no matter which one you choose you can do a day trip from one to the other on a rental atv. the montezuma falls is a must see.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 110
3. Re: Montezuma or Santa Tersa

You are asking about 2 nights, is that correct? If so I agreee with Roadadvisor, stay in Samara and visit Nosara while you are there.

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Montezuma or Santa Tersa

I'd spend two nights in either Montezuma or Malpais, and then two nights in Samara (or Nosara)...

If you surf, you'll wanna head to Malpais/Santa Teresa

To visit the waterfalls and hang out, you might prefer Montezuma (easy access to Cabo Blanco Reserve, Curu Reserve, Cabuya)

Ottawa, Canada
5. Re: Montezuma or Santa Tersa

Thank you everyone,

The reason why we were thinking this route was to try and get a feel of what the areas are like, to see if it may be a place to visit longer when we return.

We already know that we will love Samara from what we read on the Forums and are looking forward to exploring the area.

I thought that since we are crossing with the Ferry, we might as well go to either Montezuma or Santa Teresa, since we are in the general area.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
6. Re: Montezuma or Santa Tersa

Montezuma is my favorite area on the whole Nicoya Peninsula. I've been to Santa Teresa and Samara several times.

Gary

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 3
7. Re: Montezuma or Santa Tersa

Why are you taking the ferry? It's a lot easier to get to Samara over the Friendship Bridge and the roads are much, much better!

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
8. Re: Montezuma or Santa Tersa

That's a good point on the Ferry. You should probably just go up to the bridge (assuming you are going to Samara first).

The roads at the south end of the peninsula aren't so great. The roads up towards Nicoya and Samara and the bridge are much better.

Just take the ferry at what ever end of the ride you're going to be down by Montezuma and take the bridge for the other. It's a lovely ferry ride, other than the destination, it's my favorite part of the trip!

Speaking of loving Samara, please give us a review when you get back. I've been to Samara twice, but it's Montezuma that I keep coming back to (over a dozen times, if not more).

Gary

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
9. Re: Montezuma or Santa Tersa

I would pick one destination for your short stay. You could do two if you were staying longer than 6 days. If you were to choose Montezuma or Santa Teresa, you could check out the other on a day trip since they are very close to each other. If you choose to go to Samara, then do a day trip to Nosara and check out that area.

Ottawa, Canada
10. Re: Montezuma or Santa Tersa

Thanks everyone,

I guess it looks like we will spend our 4 days in Samara. When we return again to Costa Rica, we'll head down towards Montezuma area and check out the surrounding area.

Thank you for all of your comments.

I'll post a review when we return.

Thank you Nick