We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma versus Manuel Antonio with special needs child

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 5
Montezuma versus Manuel Antonio with special needs child

My family and I are thinking about a 1 week trip to CR in either April or May. We would be taking our two children, 6 and 12. The 12 year old has quite severe autism. I am torn between Manuel Antonio and Montezuma.

We are on a budget and we generally like low key and not a lot of tourists. This is the first time we are doing a trip like this with him.

Is Manuel Antonio "packed" in late April/early May? All the activities seem to be part of a tour. Tours, unless they are private, will not work for us. Are there any "free" hikes you can just do on your own? If in Manuel Antonio we would probably rent a house. Although above our budget, we also thought about the Bungalows at Tulemar because of the private beach and shuttle.

I love what I read about the Montezuma area. Much more off the beaten track, more laid back, much less expensive and more things to do on our own. But I am concerned about the safety of the beaches. If you are just wading, or into about waist level are the beaches safe for swimming? My son usually does not go into the ocean past his knees. But he has only been to the beach a few times and there woud be no way to explain to him how to act in a rip tide. Another issue, although not as important, is the extent of brown versus green at that time of year. Is the area really dry and brown? Is there any green? Some of the pictures I have seen look like Southern California at the end of the summer. Can you still see wildlife?

Has anyone ever traveled with a special needs child? How were you treated both by other tourists and by the locals?

Philadelphia...
reviews: 5
11. Re: Montezuma versus Manuel Antonio with special needs child

Alex, Thank you for the info. Do you know the name of the beach or the river North of Montezuma? (The one you mentioned that is just "north of that beach there's another beach where there's a little river that flows very gently into the ocean. The river has natural pools with cooler, very-slow-moving water".) Is it walking distance from downtown?

Thanks!!

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 9
12. Re: Montezuma versus Manuel Antonio with special needs child

If I recall I think there is a river past Ylang Ylang resort, so maybe 25 minutes, I can't remember the beach there. But I'm not sure if I'm mixing it up with the next spot...

An hour (70 minutes?) from Montezuma is some beautiful beach very open and much less rocky (more surfing goes on here, but they aren't in the way, it's huge here). I don't think it's as deep, you can walk way out (I'm trying to recall if there is a river area at the start of this too that I'm mixing up).

Anyone have better estimates of the timing for the above?

Both of these are north and there is a few up and down spots, but most of it is along the beach.

Gary

Edited: 11:39 am, March 14, 2013
13. Re: Montezuma versus Manuel Antonio with special needs child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 16, 2014